Monday, September 15, 2014

Blog Tour : Inspiration

Last week I was tagged by the amazing Jamaica for a blog tour that's been going around the web. I was asked by a few other fabulous ladies over the last month or so but my cruddy mood had me opting to decline. The truth is, it's hard to write about inspiration when you don't feel like you have any to share. The fog has lifted now, so here goes :
What am I working on right now? A little bit of everything. I've started playing with the October Studio Calico kits. I'm finishing up my Summer Project Life Handbook (and hope to be done by the weekend). And I filmed a video of my mini from Marcy's Mini Book Workshop that I'll share here Wednesday.

How long does it take me to create a project? It totally depends on the project. My biggest challenge is narrowing down product options so working from a kit is a big bonus for me. I also do as much pre-planning as I can, so I'd say these times are pretty standard for me : 2-3 hours for a 2-page 12x12 Project Life spread. 1 hour for a 2-page 6x8 Handbook spread. 3 full days for a mini book.

What are my favorite things to create with at the moment? I'm loving the Handbook size for Project Life right now. I'll be using another one to document our fall season, September through November.

How does my creating process work? No matter what I'm working on, I start with a plan. A scrapbook sketch, a Project Life template to fill in where the photos and journaling will go, or a rough storyboard for mini books. Then I edit and print my photos and choose (or build from my stash) a kit of product that I'll work from. I typically like to work in big blocks of time, especially when I'm first getting started. Once I have made a decent dent, I almost always walk away (or sleep on it) before deciding I like the way it turned out. If I don't, I could spend days fiddling and moving things around.

How do I become inspired and stay inspired? Outside of looking at other people's paper projects in galleries and on Pinterest, I adore Instagram. I'll take an in-progress, happy mess over a styled desk shot any day. And although I don't think it is reflected in my layouts, I'm inspired by all things hand lettering - everything from calligraphy to brush script - as well as graphic design + modern architecture. Staying inspired? That's a tough one because I don't think I've mastered that. There are certainly days (or months, ahem, August) when I'm just not feeling it and my answer is I don't fight it. I find something else to occupy my mind and my time. I disconnect for a while and don't force it because I know, eventually, my desire to make something will come back. When it does come back, it's usually with a vengeance and I have 3-4 projects going on at once that I'm all happy about.

What is my signature style? I don't know if I have a definite style because I feel like it changes with every project. Overall, I think I lean toward the simple side with a focus on storytelling.

2 comments:

  1. Craft piles + wine for the win! and high five, team 6x8!

    I like the idea of working in big blocks and walking away/sleeping on it. I need to do more of that, because every time I rush it or decide to "just go for it" I hate it, mess up the card and end up fiddling for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, a messy in-progress desk shot is so much more inspiring.
    And yes for wine with crafting!

    ReplyDelete