Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tutorial : Watercolor Ice Cream Cones

While our summer has been wonderful so far, it's been rather cool in my opinion. Kind of a bummer when we've been so looking forward to going to the beach and splash pad to cool off. It's just not as fun when it's only in the 70's. The lack of heat has not stopped us from consuming our share of ice cream though!

Morgan and Parker especially love Superman ice cream.* Sweet and colorful swirls of pink, yellow and blue ice cream is their go-to flavor. I can't blame them. My sister and I loved it as kids too. Ah, memories.

When I got a hold of the Sandlot Cut Files from In A Creative Bubble, I was inspired to experiment with my Neocolor crayons and recreate the Superman look for a card in my Project Life. 
I love playing with these crayons. Even if I'm not always sure what direction to take, what look I'm hoping for, or what the "right way" to do it is. I say, just start.

I've put together a step-by-step tutorial with photos on how I created this watercolor background and it's available for download here. I love when experiments are successful and I hope you'll give it a try too!
Supplies used : watercolor paper, kraft cardstock, Sandlot Cut File by In A Creative Bubble, water brush (or small paint brush and cup of water), neocolors (raspberry red, lemon yellow and turquoise blue), paper towel.


*I only recently found out that this flavor is not widely available! I've lived in Michigan my entire life and have known about Superman ice cream almost as long, so I was shocked when I read that this flavor isn't as popular as I thought. Hmm, you're missing out. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll buy you a scoop. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment