Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Gift Card Tags

The end of the school year is upon us, which means thanking and saying goodbye to the teachers who have been such a big part of our kids lives the past nine months. I adore the ladies that taught Morgan and Parker this year and walking out of their classrooms for the last time was hard! They sure will be missed.
Last week, I started thinking about how I wanted to present a small thank you gift for each of them. I knew I wanted to give them gift cards to my favorite local market - which I thought might be nice to use over the summer - to splurge on some seafood or a nice steak for grilling. They also have wonderful produce, a yummy bakery and a fantastic prepared food bar. Something for everyone.

I decided to make a gift card holder to tie around a bottle of Izze sparkling lemon juice. I'm in love with their packaging, so that was a no-brainer. And it was a little different than just putting the gift card in an envelope and signing it.

On to the tag. Here's how I made them :

1. Measure your gift card. Mine was a standard size - just over 2" by 3 1/4".
2. Cut your patterned paper down to 3" wide by 5" high. Here I'm using Studio Calico's South of Market Turnip the Beet.
3. Do the same with your patterned transparency. I used the South of Market transparency for my tags.
4. Using a 1.5" circle punch, cut a notch at the top of your transparency. Line up the punch so you are only cutting a half circle from the top of the paper. This will make it easier for the recipient to pull out the gift card from the pocket.
5. Using a paper clip or some washi tape, line up and clip the patterned paper to the transparency. Use whatever you have on hand. This is just to hold the two pieces together when you sew them together in the next step.
6. Starting on one of the top corners, machine stitch the two long sides and the bottom short side to create a pocket.
7. Grab some sequins and add a pinch to each pocket. I probably only added about 10-12 of the South of Market woodgrain star sequins to mine.
8. Shake them around a bit to make sure they are evenly distributed along the bottom.
9. Head back to your sewing machine and stitch the sequins into their own pocket. I measured up from the bottom about 1.25" - shown below.
Embellish the front of the tags :

10. Using a set of small alphabet stamps, stamp "enjoy" on some label stickers. Here I'm using an old-ish Hero Arts alpha set with the South of Market label stickers and Color Theory Clean Slate ink.
11. Repeat on all of the labels. I like to stamp all of the e's first, then the n's, then j, o, y for the most consistent look.
12. The b-side of the Turnip the Beet paper has a cool pattern to it. Cut the paper into 1" strips and then trim those down to 2" long. Snip a banner-like notch on the end.
13. Attach the label sticker to the tag and then adhere the patterned paper banner over the label.
14. Add chipboard shapes to the banner. Here I used the lemons and oranges from South of Market printed chipboard.
15. Slip a piece of twine underneath the banner and tie it into a bow. Use a tiny attacher to staple it in place and then stick on an enamel dot.
16. Slip the gift card into the pocket and punch a small hole (I used my crop-a-dile) into the top left corner, avoiding the gift card.
17. Add string, ribbon or twine and tie on to your bottle.
 
Supplies : Studio Calico South of Market Turnip the Beet patterned paper, transparency, printed chipboard, label stickers, enamel dots, star sequins, Color Theory Clean Slate ink pad, Hero Arts Alpha stamps, twine, 1.5" circle punch, tiny attacher, crop-a-dile hole punch
 

No comments:

Post a Comment