Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Workspace Wednesday (and ramblings on my creative process)

On Sunday night, I had completed 5 scrapbook layouts in two days. National Scrapbook Day got me on a roll. It got me thinking about my creative process and how I go from project to project. Typically I like to completely clean up my space before moving on to the next thing. In the best of circumstances, I try to finish whatever I'm making in one sitting. Often that means staying up late because I flow better if I can just get it done in one spurt of time.

Well, that's what I thought. The layouts that I made last weekend weren't done all at once. I had a lot of sketches to refer to and I think at one point I had three layouts in progress. It felt good to just let things sit and stew, to come to my desk for 15 minutes when the kids were playing nicely and push some paper around, to sleep on an idea before committing to it.

Granted, this was the first scrapbook kit I busted open, but I am quite certain I didn't even make 5 layouts last year. This is kind of a big deal to me. It was fun to make layouts all on my own. I felt like the more I made, the more my creative juices were flowing. I never felt rushed and after each one I would say, "okay, let's do one more..." Last night, I finished number six. The photo above is an in-progress shot.

So, I'm loving that quote right now too. Apparently I haven't had enough sleep. It should read "the more you USE, the more you HAVE." That makes way more sense. I've always aspired to 'do something creative everyday.' I even listed it as one of my scrappy resolutions back in January. I don't feel like I was ever living up to that until now. Yeah, I know, it was one weekend. But now I have a better idea of how I can do it. I think the key for me is to be okay with leaving stuff out. I love me a clean desk but I think these days it stalls me rather than encourages me. That never dawned on me until now.

After six layouts, I am satisfied with what I've made with Bluegrass Farm and I'm inspired to lay out the next kit and the next set of photos. I think I'm going to have a 'National Scrapbook Day' every month.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I really like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. I've been trying out making several layouts at once too. It's so not my usual MO but I like trying something new to spurt creativity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete