Wednesday, March 12, 2014

documenting the Olympics : Project Life style

This year, the Olympics caught my attention more than it has in past years. I usually don't get into it that much, but this time we watched quite a bit. Week 8 of Project Life was the last week of the Olympics, so I decided to include a 3-card spread to show the final metal count and more. Today I want to show you how I put it all together.

First, I collected my supplies for the stamping. I chose the circle stamp from the Jubilee e-book kit, an acrylic block, inks for the Olympic ring colors (Deja Blue, Versafine Onyx Black, Well Red, Sunny Day and Emerald City) and some 3x4 grid cards from my stash. You could easily use a scrap piece of paper that is 4" high x 9" wide too.
I lined my cards up and started stamping. I began with the center black ring and built off of that so I could make sure the image was centered, and cleaning my stamp off between color changes. Until very recently, I've never had large ink pads in vibrant colors like the Color Theory pads - especially a good red and yellow. These turned out great.
Then I added navy Thickers from the Office Hours kit below the rings to spell out Sochi. My letter selection was dwindling so my O was really a Q and the I was a J. Just pull out your craft knife and cut off what you don't need!
Then I stamped 2014 below Sochi in Clean Slate. These alpha stamps are an old Hero Arts set.
On the right card, I recorded the final metal count. I was only going to do the top three but had to include USA (duh), so top four it was. I sifted through my sequin cup of kit leftovers and picked out a shiny gold, matte silver and bronze-ish color to act as medals. I adhered them on with mini glue dots and stamped the numbers below with the same Hero Arts set in Clean Slate. Then I added the date in the corner with my date roller stamp
On the left side, I added a quote from my daughter on the final day of the games. She was not impressed that the Olympics were still on, haha!
After rounding just the four outside corners, I added them to my spread. I love how the cards are unified and span across the page together, because sometimes you can't fit the whole story in just one pocket.
Did you include the Winter Olympics in your Project Life?

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! We watched a lot of the Olympics this year and my 7 year old son was so into it. I really wanted to include it in my PL for that reason and you've got me very inspired! I may have to totally lift your ideas here :)

    ReplyDelete