Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY Valentine's treat bags

Confession : I've been hoarding the muslin bags that my extras come in when I get my Studio Calico kits each month. I actually used a bunch last summer for favor bags at the kids birthday party, but I've collected a lot more and I always feel like I need to save them for just the right opportunity.
With Valentine's Day approaching, I thought I'd use a couple to make treat bags for Morgan + Parker. I chose two of the larger bags and gathered the rest of my supplies.
I wanted to stamp the "I love you more every day" image from the Lollies stamp set with Hero Arts Red Royal ink on the bag. I also grabbed some scrap cardboard to slip inside the bag while I was stamping (to keep the ink from bleeding through to the other side) and a mouse pad for extra cushion while stamping.
I started on one side and stamped along the bottom of the bag...
...and got 5 full heart images.
I added some pink seam binding along the bottom of Morgan's bag and machine stitched it on with gold thread to make it a little more girly. I knew she'd like that.
Next I went through my scrap paper stash to make a couple of tags to hang from the top of each bag. I found some old Hambly heart transparency and used my Fiskars 1" circle squeeze punch to cut two tags.
I punched a smaller hole on the top and ran some twine through for hanging. I also added a woodgrain Thicker for their first initial.
And this is how they turned out.
I decided to add a veneer heart from the Sugar Rush Project Life kit to the tag for a little extra something.
I'm excited to fill their bags with gummy hearts + chocolates + a small toy for Valentine's Day.
I think these would be a perfect goodie bag for Valentine's of any age! Come to think of it, I should probably make one for my husband too. 

10 comments:

  1. They look gr8! {I hoard the bags too!!! lol} Love this idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh how delicious they look, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh how delicious they look, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I have gift bags that are similar that would be perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and was just thinking about decorating them for V day. I have way too many of those bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute gift ideas! I want to make something like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very cute treat bag, I love it. thanks for sharing! My best Valentines day greetings to you!

    Cheers xxxx
    Marilyn
    http://easyday.snydle.com/valentines-day-wishes-and-messages.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These bags are adorable. I would love to have one given to me. What a fantastic tutorial, thank you.

    ReplyDelete