Thursday, May 17, 2012

One Little Word : LESS : May

The May prompt for One Little Word was a simple one for me. After looking back at January's prompt and recalling what I wanted to accomplish with my word in 2012, our task was to make a list of things we wanted to do, goals we wanted to achieve, projects we wanted to complete. My weekly less list was greatly inspired by this prompt and since I had taken this class last year - I kind of know what lies ahead. I have a lengthy master list of things I want to accomplish this year, the majority involve my word less, and making these weekly lists has really helped me breakdown the bigger projects into smaller bites. It's made me accountable and it's enabled me to be intentional with my word. In some form, less is on my mind every day. So, because I've already been making lists the last several months, I changed up the way I completed this prompt.
With every word comes challenges. Whatever word you may have chosen this year, I'd be willing to bet that you have your downfalls. Something you say you are going to do, need to do, but it just isn't happening consistently. Just this week I've (once again) decided to be more aware of how I spend my time at night and not go to bed so late. I could go to bed at 10pm all week but it is so so easy for me to fall back into the bad habit of wasting time online and staying up until 11pm or later. That is a big downfall for me and something that is often on my mind. Especially when my alarm is going off the next morning.

I chose 5 general thoughts/tasks/goals that I always tend to return back to when I'm thinking about what I want to achieve this year. What are the biggest ideas in my mind when I think of what less means to me? Why did I choose less? Less what? What is really holding me back? This is where I left off in April. This is what I came up with for May.
I rearranged some of the papers in my minibook and pulled a solid piece forward for the first page. The May circle accent is from Paislee Press Round About Now :
On the back is a quote from Leo Babauta - author of two of my favorite blogs, Zen Habits + Mnmlist.  Letter stickers from Authentique :
 
The next page is my list. Simple + straightforward. I used American Crafts Thickers and Martha Stewart for Avery file folder labels :
Here is that last 2 page spread in full:
I'm thinking about making an enlarged version to hang in my scrap space, but right now my mini is open to this page to serve as a daily reminder.

This is my main focus.
I am a work in progress.
Less isn't going to happen overnight.
I can do this.

Next up, June. I already have grand plans to get messy (not within the pages of this mini) and revisit my brush script techniques from Kal.

4 comments:

  1. looks great!! I really need to get to work on my OLW project.

    Is that a font or your handwriting on the MS labels? Either way, I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krystyn! It's such a fun project. And, that's just my handwriting. ;)

      Delete
    2. AWESOME handwriting!!! Mine is terrible.

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog through instagram and this post is totally speaking to me right now. I half-heartedly chose my one little word at the beginning of the year (which by the way is the same word you chose)and the only connection I've made with my word is with my weight (but, again, only half-heartedly). I intended to do with it what you write in your mission list but didn't. You've lit the spark in me to get "it" together and do something. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete