Thursday, April 19, 2012

Preparing for Week in the Life 2012

After Ali announced the dates that she would be doing her annual Week in the Life project for this year, I anxiously awaited to see her plan. I always love to see what she, as well as other scrapbookers, plans to do as far as documenting, album design, process + expectations. I adore my album from last year and wondered how I could do it differently this year, especially since I am also doing Project Life.
Quite some time ago, my mom and I were talking about how cool it would be to make individual albums or mini books for the kids on a week in their life - at this age/stage of their little lives. Particularly because as they get older, they will never remember what life was like when they were 1 or 3 years old. I think my earliest memories were probably when I was 4 or 5. How about you?
I was still unsure though as to how to go about putting them together. Two minibooks for two little (but very special) people during the same week. Plus Project Life. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Likely. Would I regret not documenting a Week in the Life for our entire family? Probably not, mostly because I am already doing Project Life, and I just did a Day in the Life a couple months ago. I'm trying not to think too much about regret.
What solidified the idea for me of documenting just the kids Week in the Life was when Ali announced a new class she was going to be teaching at Big Picture Classes. It's called 31 Things (click the link to read more about it) and it's basically about getting you to write detailed stories about everyday life and objects/subjects that we don't always give in-depth information about - especially when we're scrapbooking. One month of daily prompts, like jewelry, chores and drink, to give me a chance to really tell the story of everyday stuff in my life. Sounds cool to me! So I signed up. In an effort to not get overly redundant with all of these 'everyday' scrappy projects,  I felt relieved about my decision to not to do a family Week in the Life (at this time, this year) and focus on the kids.

I began thinking about what would make this Week in the Life process simpler for me. My first thought was to pre-make the albums - very similar to a Scrapbook on the Road. You already know how fond I am of Ali, right? Her classes are amazing and I refer back to them often! This class is no exception. With that class in mind (and my SOTR mini in front of me), I dug through my stash and quickly chose color schemes for a mini for Morgan + one for Parker. While everything was laid out, I went through my embellishments and added other small goodies to my piles, like buttons, tags, envelopes and chipboard pieces. I found a 6x6 Maya Road chipboard binder album that I have not used yet and removed 4 of the interior chipboard pages to use as covers for each mini. Threw a couple silver binder rings in for each book and I'm good to go. After the week is over and I have time to work on editing photos, printing and putting it together, I know the base is done and ready to fill! Right now, I do not plan on working on it daily next week.

Here is a glimpse of what I've collected for Morgan - lots of pink, naturally :
And Parker - mostly blues, oranges + brown :
The other tricky (maybe trickier) part of this will be the documentation. Because I am doing both of them in the same week, I want to make sure that one doesn't get more detail or attention than the other. The best way I could think of to attack this is to come up with story/photo prompts to follow throughout the week. This is just the beginning of the stories I want to make sure are told :
  • favorites : books, toys, tv shows/movies, games, activities, food + snacks...
  • their bedrooms : real shots of those messy, played-in rooms plus some detailed shots of my favorite wall art, their bedding, the contents of their dresser drawers + closets. I will probably make note of what size clothing and shoes each is wearing.
  • their typical routine/rhythm of the day : their days are pretty much the same, for the most part, but worth documenting as these will be individual albums.
  • loves + hates : bath time, nap/quiet time, diaper changes, car rides, sitting down for a meal, the whole bit. Every day, real life stuff.
  • things they are saying + doing : especially the funny stuff. This is such a great age to document that!
  • their relationship with each other : I am blessed that this brother + sister pair get along great, 99% of the time. I'm not sure how that will change or stay the same in the future but I really want to capture this now.
  • ephemera : clippings of artwork, coloring pages, activity sheets (or school lessons as Morgan likes to call them), boxes + wrappers from their favorite foods, receipts from things purchased for them (like I am already, coincidentally, planning on getting them both haircuts next week). Same kind of stuff I'd be saving for a family Week in the Life album.
That's what I've got so far. This weekend I hope to spend a little time punching holes in the papers for the mini's + brainstorming ideas to decorate those chipboard covers. And working on not getting overwhelmed by doing two books at once.

Are you participating in Week in the Life next week? I'd love to hear your plans or process as you prepare for the big week - or link me up if you've blogged about it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have everything well thought out. Definitely looking forward to seeing it complete. :)

    ReplyDelete