Sunday, April 22, 2012

my less list : no 11

After spending a good amount of time dumping my brain and re-writing lists last week, I think I came up with a decent system for keeping track of all of these less list items. I kind of lost steam when I took the time to focus on my one little action in March and didn't know where to start back up. So I made a master wish list of sorts. It ranges from room by room specifics of areas I want to declutter, to scrapbook layouts and projects I want to make. to some other more personal thoughts and reflections about life and where I'm at right now. Reminders and quotes to read when I'm feeling down or unmotivated. This probably sounds incredibly anal to many most of you, but if you've been reading for a while, you know that's how I roll. :) Organization, lists, checkmarks, results. Bam.
I also cleaned and organized my scrap space. I scrapbook here, blog here, edit photos here and pack shop orders here. Yeah! I have a nice clean desk + and fairly clear head now. So, let's get back into this less list, shall we? 
  1. Choose 5 scrapbooking projects that I want to tackle next. On the wall under shelves where my stamps live are 5 hooks + clips. On the clips I use Project Life grid journaling cards to write down layout ideas, mini album themes, etc. but they need to be updated. Even though most of my time is spent staying up to date on Project Life and the One Little Word class, I'd like to start making real traditional scrapbook layouts again. Done. I have a few ongoing projects that I want to finish, so those were a no-brainer. Morgan + Parker's individual Week in the Life albums made the cut too. I'm hoping to blog my new system for keeping track of project + layout ideas very soon.
  2. Shop for a caddy to store the art supplies I keep in my scrap room for Morgan to use when we are in here together. I think I mentioned revamping her supplies several weeks ago and changed my mind. Well, I changed it back. We need a better system. Two thumbs up. I found an inexpensive cleaning caddy + used old large yogurt containers to separate Morgan's crayons, markers, scissors, glue sticks, etc. Those go on one side and the other is filled with coloring books, blank paper, stickers + activity books. Clean up is a breeze now. Yeah!
  3. Purge the shelf in the pantry where our snacks are stored. Too many half eaten boxes + bags, stale crackers, stuff the kids didn't like. It's a mess. There might even be some Halloween candy in there. Woah. Easy. And I replenished the pantry with new snacks too.
  4. Do one thing at a time. I keep stumbling upon the idea of not multi-tasking. Wah huh? This post from Harvard Business Review was the most recent article I read. I may not be a high profile business woman, but being a stay-at-home mom to two little ones, some days I feel like I'm as busy as one. The bottom line that I came away with is to dedicate x amount of time to work on a certain task and only that task, whether I'm answering emails, making dinner or having a puppet show with Morgan and Parker. Focus + engage. This is working for me. I love it and will continue to use it so it becomes a habit!
  5. This next one isn't specific to this week, but something that I've become aware of, especially in the last week, and want to work on. Less worrying. In certain situations, I assume I know what the outcome is going to be. I worry about negative comments and reactions. I end up preparing conversations or comebacks in my head on what I am going to do or say back. Awful, right? It's high time to stop expecting the worst is going to happen because most of the time, it was never even an issue to begin with. Ongoing. :)
This week : on top of all of this, we have a relatively normal but busy week ahead. Week in the Life begins today, which means lots of photo taking + documenting little stories. I'm really looking forward to Kelly Purkey's minibook class at Scrappy Chic on Sunday too. Any other locals going to be there?

Each week I write a short list, no more than 5 items long, of simple tasks that I want to complete during that week. Small things, not huge projects, that I can easily do in the span of 7 days. Things that will keep me focused + help me keep my eyes open to the big picture. You can read more about my One Little Word, less, why I chose it + how I'm documenting it in 2012 here. You can read all of my (now updated) less lists here.

7 comments:

  1. How do you like that cute little cart for Ikea I see in your room? I have be eyeing that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. less worrying? yes! good luck, I struggle with that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally get you! ;)
    love your list!!
    good luck with it all...i am sure everything will come together!! :)
    and your #5 is something i am working on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one more thing to miss about Michigan - that Kelly Purkey will be there to do a mini album class. Argh!! So bummed I'm missing that. Enjoy it for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies! Shelley, yes, I love the new IKEA cart. It fits perfectly under my desk and the color is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the IKEA purchase. The color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally wish I could snag the organization bug that you have! My space has been controlled chaos for who knows how long. Thanks for the motivation, haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete