Friday, March 9, 2012

Morgan + the next phase

This afternoon, I registered Morgan for preschool in the fall. After calling the school after lunch to ask a couple questions, I found out there was only one spot left in the KinderReady class I wanted to get her in. One spot! Of course, Parker was already taking his nap, so we waited for him to wake and ran up to the school as fast as we could.
We went to the open house on Saturday and had a great experience. I love the school atmosphere. The hallways and classrooms. The low hooks and cubbies out in the hallway. The students projects hanging on the walls. The mini chairs and tables. Art stations, dress-up stations and bookshelves just begging to be dug through. There is even a gymnasium, media center and science room (including lots of animals that can be checked out on weekends and long holidays). She will spend 30 minutes in each of those rooms each week.

The school had a lot of class options. Everything from 2.5 hours a day, a few days a week to all (school) day, 5 days a week. We opted for all day, 2 days a week. Just the right amount of time each week to transition from at-home-with-mommy-all-day to at-school-all-day. AKA, Kindergarten.

On Sunday night, as I was tucking her into bed, Morgan asked "when do I get to go back to that school?" Yes! She's excited. She loved it. She wants to go back. Wait. She wants to go back? What about me? I'm going to miss my little peanut! Then my brain was flooded with all kinds of thoughts. Mostly hopes.
I hope she doesn't get upset that I'm not staying. That's been a recurring concern of hers.
I hope I don't cry when I drop her off. Oh geez, who am I kidding? I'm already crying. Well, at least I hope she doesn't see me cry.
I hope she enjoys it.
I hope she has a lot of fun.
I hope she eats her lunch.
I hope she listens.
I hope she understands.
I hope she isn't bored.
I hope she makes some friends.
I hope she loves her teacher (and her teacher loves her).
I hope she knows how much we love her.

Already, a good 6 months early, I'm trying not to think about that first drop off. Or that first week of drop-offs. I was a complete wreck when I took Morgan to daycare at just 8 weeks old.
Morgan tells me that she'll miss me. And man, I'll miss her too. But I can't tell her that, can I? I can already hear her response. "Well if you'll miss me, then why do you have to go?" Smarty pants.
But (haha), I digress. This post isn't about me. It's about my big girl and the next phase in her little life. I'm so excited for her and can't wait to celebrate with a little back to school shopping for clothes and a lunchbox over the summer. It will be an adjustment for both of us, but I know she is going to rock it! And I'm looking forward to adding some more of these to our collection. School pictures!
fall 2008
spring 2009
fall 2009
spring 2010
It's going to be a lot of fun to prepare for preschool, but until then, I'm going to continue to enjoy every moment I have with her. I am a very lucky mommy to be able to spend my days with my children. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Not even my little girl and I have tears as I read that. She will LOVE it and her teachers will love her...no worries there. I do hope she isn't bored tho too, but it sounds like there is lots there to keep her busy! How exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 days a week-- a gentle transition for both of you. Time has flown. I am excited for her, you know she'll love it, especially after she's been there a few times. Letting go is difficult. :(

    ReplyDelete