Sunday, February 19, 2012

my less list : no 08

This weekend has been the beginning of a fun and full 9 days. Traveling out of town, two birthday parties, visiting with family and old friends, keeping the shop up to date and filling orders. A balance of want-to's and have to's. I am really looking forward to the days ahead but I know I have to stay focused in order to feel accomplished (and not freaked out) at the end of each day. Tonight, I'm making a list of everything I want and need to do this week. Big and small, plus day-specific tasks. It probably sounds a little anal, but that's what I find works for me during a really busy week. Not only does keeping lists help, but probably the best way for me to remain focused is to be aware of things that throw me off track. 

This weeks less list is short. Limit distractions. Mainly, the internet. (I'm not a big television watcher.) Less Facebook + Twitter. Less blog reading + message board browsing. I was thinking last week, how it's funny when I start to 'worry' when one of my online friends become quiet. Fewer tweets, fewer blog posts, fewer emails. Maybe I'm just too nosy, huh? :) This will be me this week. Balancing taking care of the kids, visiting with friends, Kristin and my nephews, assembling albums and packing for a weekend away are my big goals this week. More here, less there. You know I love you to bits though, right?

Also, since we're on the topic of less, I wanted to share a little story from last week. After I finished my last Project Life spread, I had gotten so fed up with how my little scrapbooking stuff was stored. Boxes here and jars there. I felt stuck and stalled out. I knew I had to tackle this before I was going to get any more scrapbooking or Project Life layouts done. I had purged as much as I could, so I knew everything that I kept was stuff that I loved and used.

I have been coveting a revolving tray from Harbor Freight for weeks. Weeks. I first saw how Kinsey Wilson filled hers up and fell in love. Silly, I know, but if you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know I love all things organization. I'd been calling around to the nearest stores, even the store in Lansing since I knew we were going to be there this weekend, checking to see if anyone had this fun little tray in stock. I wanted to so badly - I thought it would be perfect for keeping my little odds and ends out on top of my scrapbook table. Accessible, yet compact, and unforgotten.

It was $20. I know - only $20. A pretty good deal, I thought, but I still didn't want to spend the money. As much as I wanted it, I would rather spend $20 on scrapbooking supplies. Not more organizing bins. Have you seen all of the incredible new stuff that was introduced at CHA? So, I hunted all around the house, looking for a tray or something similar I could use.
My mom and sister each gave me loads of old glass baby food jars and I found a white Itso tray I used to store stamps in to collect the jars and organize all of my little scrapbooking embellishments. Mini paper clips and hanging tags, chipboard pieces, Ormolu flappers and flair buttons, bakers twine, all of the generic Silhouette cuts I've been making and more. The only thing is I can't keep it on my scrapbook desk, but it fits perfectly inside the cabinet below, which is totally fine because now I only have one tray to pull out when I'm working on a layout - not 7. And I'm happy with it. For now. I saved some money and used what I had. Less consuming, more creating.

Have a great week!

Each week I am going to write a short list, no more than 5 items long, of simple tasks that I want to complete during that week. Small things, not huge projects, that I can easily do in the span of 7 days. Things that will keep me focused + help me keep my eyes open to the big picture. You can read more about my One Little Word, less, why I chose it + how I'm documenting it in 2012 here. You can read all of my (now updated) less lists here.

No comments:

Post a Comment