Thursday, January 12, 2012

One Little Word : LESS : January

Since I'm taking Ali's class for the second time around, this year I thought it'd be cool to change up the way I document my One Little Word. I'm going the minibook route and now after completing January's prompt, not only is this going to be super fun, but also very easy.
First, I added a chipboard cover to my album. The ones I am selling in the shop have Hambly Clearly Heavy Overlay covers, which are nice + thick and perfectly fine for a minibook cover. But I want to use my overlays as pages inside the mini, so I cut down the covers from a 4x8 Studio Calico Journal Kit to 4x6 - the size of my book. I love that woodgrain pattern! I left it naked - because I like the light gray color + well, my word is less you know. :)
On the front I used aqua + white bakers twine to attach a blank Stampin Up tag. On the tag I adhered a '20' (Amy Tangerine for American Crafts) + handwrote 'twelve' below on a 7 Gypsies naked label sticker. Below that - 'my year of less' -  simple enough.

You can see my pre-class assignment (the transparency overlay) here, but this is how it looks in the book.
Below is my interpretation of the January assignment. The prompt included taking a self portrait, plus filling out the printables that Ali designed and provided to the class. Statements we would complete like writing out the definition of our word, synonyms, why we chose our word, where we want it to take us in 2012 + a quote using our word. This was one of my favorite prompts from last year. I picked + chose what I wanted to include in my book for this month + filled in the first 6 pages. Here is what I came up with.

My self-portrait :
The January Twenty Twelve circle is from Paislee Press. The text on the right side of the page above was taken from this blog post. All of the printed text was done on Becky Higgins Project Life grid journaling cards. I told you I love these things. I used Liz's template for running these cards through the printer. I will be getting lots of use out of that. Lots! The font I used is American Typewriter.
Above, I embossed the back of the calendar stamped tag (included with the minibook) + added another less quote. The aqua alpha stickers are Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type.
And a couple of my favorite quotes I've found so far. The journaling card on the right can be found here. The yellow alpha stickers (on the file tab which is included with the mini) are Authentique Blissful Petite Type Square. I think I will be adding a lot of quotes randomly throughout my book during the year. I'm very inspired by others words of wisdom. I've had lots of 'ah-ha' moments already. Questions? Just ask in the comments below. :)

So, would you like one of these minibooks? Maybe to document your One Little Word or another little project you have planned this year? My new blogging, crafty, delicious cupcake making, super inspiring friend Jenny is giving one away. You can check out her newest post (which is a great tutorial for making your own polaroid magnets!) here to enter. And if you are here from Jenny's blog, hello + welcome! I would love if you said Hi below. :)

12 comments:

  1. Super cute Nicole! Love how you are using the mini book to document OLW this year. I am Jenny's sister. I've heard so many great things about you.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - especially the raw woodgrain cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a fun album! :)
    i have loved getting to "know" both you and Jenny better through scrapbooking!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I definitely would love to have one of those mini books! :D Love your cover...and making my OLW into a mini album never crossed my mind! Hmm...I still have time to change things around. But thanks for the chance, would love to win! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love it Nicole! The self portrait is perfect. I have some catch up work to do this weekend and really looking forward to it. So glad you are doing a giveaway over on my blog. It's been so great getting to know you. A true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be Jenny (not my husband)- next time I need to make sure he is not logged onto my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled across your blog back in December and have been following ever since! Love this - the cover and first few pages of your minibook look awesome! I am doing Ali's OLW for the first time this year...super excited about it. Question - where are the alpha stickers from (I think they are stickers) that you used on the less is more page? Also, do you have a favorite pen that you use on your layouts/in your books?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone! :)

    Amanda, the aqua alpha stickers are Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type and the yellow ones are Authentique. My go-to pens are Faber-Castell Pitt Artist pens. They are available in lots of different thicknesses - I love them! Regular old fine point Sharpies are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicole, You're off to a great start on your OLW album. I love how you're DD album turned out. The business card page was a great idea. Avery makes them in 5.5 x 8.5 (76025). They are acid and PVC free.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like everything about your little mini book! Love your quotes - love the little tag, just a fun book that will be an easy and great reminder to live your word!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So awesome Nicole!! I'm toying with the idea of doing my OLW in a mini too.

    ReplyDelete