Monday, November 28, 2011

our Christmas countdown book tradition

Last year, we started a Christmas countdown, or advent, tradition of wrapping 24 books, mostly winter or Christmas related, for Morgan + Parker to open nightly from December 1 - December 24. This year, I went through the books I set aside from last Christmas, which included some we've gotten from our family, and I bought about 10 more.

Buying 24 books right off the bat can be kind of intimidating, and quite expensive, so I've been mixing in some less expensive softcover and board books from Scholastic (Remember those book clubs from school? My sister is a teacher so I order from the catalogs every so often), with a few nicer hardcover classics. I assume if we continue to do this every December, I'll be pulling books out and replacing them each year with more age appropriate selections.
Also, last year I put a number tag on each book so they would be opened 'in order', but this year I'm just going to put them in a basket and let them choose one (or take turns choosing one) each night. Note : the books I've chosen are non-religious and aimed at my toddler (Parker - 1) and preschooler (Morgan - 3). These are our books for this year :
  1. Snowballs by Lois Ehlert
  2. Duck and Goose It's Time for Christmas by Tad Hills
  3. Here Comes Christmas by Caroline Jayne Church
  4. Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
  5. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
  6. Froggy's Best Christmas by Jonathan London
  7. The Night Before the Night Before Christmas by Natasha Wing
  8. When Will It Snow? by Kathryn White and Alison Edgson
  9. Silent Night by Juliet Groom and Tim Warnes
  10. Stella, Queen of the Snow by Marie-Louise Gay
  11. Olive, the Other Reindeer by J. Otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh
  12. Merry Christmas, Curious George by Margret and H.A. Rey
  13. Old Bear and His Cub by Olivier Dunrea
  14. Counting Christmas by Karen Katz
  15. Little Puppy Lost by Linda Jennings and Alison Edgson
  16. Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice by Steve Metzger
  17. Santa Duck and His Merry Helpers by David Milgrim
  18. Fox and the Snowflake Christmas by Julia Rawlinson
  19. Frosty the Snowman by Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins (a Hallmark recordable book)
  20. Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anna Dewdney
  21. Babar and Father Christmas by Jean De Brunhoff
  22. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
  23. Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner
  24. A Wish to be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe
In other (shop) news : All of the 20 Questions albums, including the pre-orders, are completely sold out now and I do not anticipate making any more until after the holidays / next year. I'm pretty geeked about the amazing response! I am working as hard as I can to get the albums shipped out and on the way to their new homes in the next few days. Thank you so much for your support + patience.

Next up, holiday cards! Tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment