Thursday, September 8, 2011

One Little Word : August

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Ali gave us a super simple One Little Word assignment for August. To give ourselves a chance to take a breath.
Our prompt last month was to take a 5x7 self portrait and simply add some text that Ali provided. Words of encouragement and a reminder that we are perfect just the way we are. I didn't do anything original here. I loved Ali's photo of her shadow and decided to do the same. I think I was a little burnt out on all of the self portraits I took at the end of July for Week in the Life. One of my favorite TED Talks (by Brene Brown) was a part of Ali's presentation this month. If you have 20 minutes to spare, even if it's while folding laundry or making dinner, I highly recommend it. 

Ah, what a nice little break.

September's prompt is another thinker. A writing prompt about choosing a battle to fight and a battle to surrender in regards to our word. To review our to-do list from May and reflect on what we may be struggling with getting accomplished. I will share my thoughts later this month after I get them down on paper. They are all kind of scrambled in my head right now. Brain dump coming soon.

Today : I'm going to photograph my completed Scrapbook on the Road if I can get some decent light in the house. I also need to tackle the guest / craft room. I've been arranging and rearranging and I think I know what I want to do in there. May work on sketching up my little work area, but first I need to move all of the piles and books and boxes back where they belong so my mother-in-law has a cozy place to sleep this weekend. :)

I also want to drive up the road to Miller's Art Supply. I caved and signed up for SCRIPTschool. The 3-day class starts Monday and I need a sumi brush + black gouache. I love the scripted prints Kal made, but for nearly the same price, I could learn how to do it myself in my own handwriting. I think I have an obsession with online classes. This one is going to be a little different than the past scrapbooking / memory keeping / make an album-type classes. At least I'm staying caught up and actually finishing my class work, right?

1 comment:

  1. I have completly dropped the ball on the OLW project. I'm glad to see yours and how you are keeping up with it! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete