Friday, February 11, 2011

Embrace Imperfection

A few weeks ago when I was logging into Big Picture Classes to look at our One Little Word gallery, I saw a link for a new free class called Embrace Imperfection. Here's a bit from the website:

"Many people never create the layouts they dream of creating because they are paralyzed by the fear of imperfection. They think that if their photos aren't technically excellent, their words aren't just right, or they use the wrong colors, their layout will not be worth creating. A voice in their head tells them the page is not perfect, the photo is less than ideal, and the papers are not lined up properly. They cannot stop the feelings of inadequacy from creeping into their mind and so they stare at one embellishment as they try to decide where to place it…for hours…days. Sometimes they even walk away permanently."

I signed up immediately. I know I have my own struggles with getting my scrapbooking layouts finished. As I type this post, my December Daily album sits open, waiting for me to come over and work on it. I am always open to suggestions on how to conquer those voices in my head and get over it being perfect. I suppose I didn't need another project, but you can't go wrong with free. And it's only two weeks long. The class started yesterday and I'm in the middle of reading the handout. It's not one of those classes where you have to crank out a layout a day. It's a class that makes you think about what's holding you back from finishing whatever you are creating. In fact, the only project is next week's assignment - a mini book to serve as a reminder that perfect does not exist.

If anyone else wants to play along, registration for the class doesn't close until next Wednesday. Karen Grunberg is the instructor and the supply list is simple - use what you have!

Today: another happy Friday, especially because we are all just about back to normal. Noses are drier and the coughing is minimal, yippee! I don't know what we are going to do this weekend but I know if we end up just laying around the house, it's not because we don't have the energy to do anything else. I for one know that I'm sick of the cold and would love some above freezing temperatures. All I can think about is wearing sundresses and swimsuits and going to the park and the zoo. Ah, I'm going to be thinking for a long while, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment