Friday, February 28, 2014

30 Lists : preparing a mini book base

After years of watching dozens of my scrapbooking friends participate in the 30 Days of Lists project, I'm finally committing to doing a book of my own in March. In just a few minutes a day, you write down your answers to a daily journaling prompt in list form. Simple and fun, right? While I was exploring the 30 Lists website, I found (and loved) the prompts from March 2011, so that is what I'll be using for my first time. Note : you can also register for new prompts starting March 1st here.

Since I'm all about preparing for projects like this ahead of time, I assembled my entire mini book in just a couple hours earlier this week. Here's what I used :
6 sheets of 12x12 kraft cardstock / paper trimmer / Hero Arts white ink dauber / alpha stickers / not shown : cropadile hole puncher + neon green acrylic album covers by Jamaica Makes / supplies for the daily prompts : a black sharpie pen, small alpha stamps + Versafine Black Onyx ink for numbering my lists.

My album covers are 4" high x 5" wide, so I cut my kraft paper down to 4" high x 4.5" wide. I got 6 mini book pages out of each piece of cardstock (and three 3x4 cards as leftovers - perfect for Project Life scraps). I cut down enough for 31 pages, plus some extra in case of printing mistakes.

Once the paper was cut, I used the white ink dauber to paint on large numbers on each sheet, 1 thru 30. The ink, unlike paint, didn't dry bold + opaque on the kraft, so it gave a fairly subtle but graphic look to the page. I was really happy with the result.

Once the numbers were dry, I set up a Photoshop document to the size of my page and loaded the font Traveling Typewriter. For each page, I typed out the number (like "one." for 1), added a few spaces, then wrote my journaling prompt. After running them all through my printer, here's how they turned out :
I put my pages in order, with the large number w/ prompt on the left and the backside of the next number/prompt on the right. This is where I'll write my daily list. Here are a few examples of the daily spreads :
I kept the simple look on the cover as well and printed 'lists' on the backside of the Day 1 page. Once I assembled my book and added the binder rings, I centered 2 foam Thickers (3+0) on the outside of the transparent acrylic covers, over 'lists' :
My photographs do not do these album covers justice. They are bright + they are amazing. Love how they look with the kraft cardstock.

On the back, I signed my name and stamped the date :
I'm really excited to work on this through the month of March. I love lists + I love any opportunity to document a little more about me, myself + I.

Is anyone else listing in March? 

14 comments:

  1. Another awesome mini, Nicole! making my little books look suppa cool, as always. Makes me want to dig out my little green album and make something right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep making them, I'll keep using them. ;) Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! Hmmmm...dauber. Now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! They are so fun and versatile. Lots of colors too. :)

      Delete
  3. You make me want to do stuff I never would otherwise.
    Super awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We need a crafty playdate, yes?

      Delete
  4. I love your style, Nicole! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy for putting together such a cool project!

      Delete
  5. I just came to your blog after finishing your SC Mini Book workshop (which I loved). You really are a mini book queen aren't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete