Thursday, February 7, 2013

Adventures of Charlie : an Elf on the Shelf mini book

After our Elf on the Shelf magically arrived at our house at the end of November, I decided I was going take a daily photo of him in his place of mischief. By the time Christmas rolled around, I wasn't sure how I was going to put them together. My December Daily was already packed to the gills, and I wanted to do a little more than just a layout, so I opted to make a super simple mini with the Studio Calico Kris Kringle add-on kit. I love how these kits can be used with the main kit, or on their own! I already have a different add-on set aside for another mini book I'm going to make soon.

Here is, Adventures of Charlie :
It seems I can't make a skinny mini either. I'm debating getting larger rings for this one. The book measures 4x4 with covers that are just a bit larger. The covers are just patterned paper with thin chipboard sandwiched between them and sewn along all four edges.
All of the photos were cropped to be square and measure about 3.75" with space around all four edges for a white border. I collaged them onto two sheets of 13x19 photo paper (plus one 4x6 for 25 photos total) and printed them on my Epson R2880 printer.
Inside the envelope on the right, below, is the letter from Santa that was in Charlie's arms when he arrived. I forgot to open it up and take the photo but I wrote it using Design Editor's Santa stationery. Adorable!
On the right of each day / two-page spread is a patterned paper base, typed journaling hand-cut into a little banner and a Crate Paper vellum number, all sewn into place. I did all of my stitching before adhering the photo on the next page.
Here we go, page by page :
 
I stitched the twine onto the back cover and wrapped it around the entire mini a few times to keep it closed.
The kids love flipping through the pages, remembering all of the hiding spots they found Charlie in. It'll be fun looking through it again this Christmas and hopefully we can come up with some new ideas and hiding spots for our December friend!

Thanks for looking!!

9 comments:

  1. this book is AWESOME and so perfect for your family right now! :)
    I loved that you let us all look through it, too!
    happiness right there... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, wonderful. love your minis. and excellent idea by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - haven't you been busy? :-)

    A really lovely mini album Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mini! I'm thinking Morgan and Parker do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable! Love that you documented every day of the adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I literally laughed out loud at quite a few of them. Charlie is quite a creative little elf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this!! So cute & what a great memory for your kids!
    BTW, I've been reading your blog for awhile & you inspired me to do the OLW workshop this year :)

    ReplyDelete