Monday, December 10, 2012

Project Life : 2012 round-up

As we close in on the final month of 2012, I thought I'd write a Project Life round-up post of some popular layouts and information I've shared this year. A reference page for me, and maybe you too. I have been wanting to write a FAQ's post too, but I've got something else in mind regarding that soon.
This time last year, I was scouring the internet for ideas, inspiration and every tip I could find to get prepared for my first year. Even after working on my own layouts week in and week out, I know how overwhelming and time-consuming it can be - reading blogs + message boards, browsing through galleries and pinning ideas. I hope this post is helpful for all Project Lifers, especially if you are thinking about taking it on in 2013. If you are at all lost, or curious about what Project Life is, go here first and watch this adorable short video by Becky Higgins.
Early reference posts (because I was a beginner once too) :
In January, I shared my initial plans for 2012 as a Project Life newbie.
At the end of my first month, I wrote this pretty extensive post about what I had learned so far. Lots of info about staying organized and having a plan.

I've gotten a lot of questions about ideas for the opening + closing pages to the albums. Here is what I've done :
The big stuff I use every week :
Some of my essential supplies :
  • Page Protectors : I started 2012 with just Design A and continue to use them as my base week in and week out, but I have added nearly every other style to my stash since then, mostly to use as inserts for when I have more photos or stories to tell that week.
  • Binder : I love We R Memory Keepers albums. Love. I am using these linen ones in 2012 and have these leather ones for 2013.
  • Core Kit : I used Turquoise in 2012 and have my eye on Seafoam for 2013.
  • Grid cards : 3x4 and 4x6 are must haves for me because I love to make my own journaling cards with my stamps.
I have really enjoyed sharing my Project Life layouts each week this year! After looking through my albums several weeks ago, I've found that my favorite layouts had either an underlying theme or a unified look via similar products or a kit. It's definitely a fun way to mix it up, especially if you start to get bored with documenting the same things over and over, or if you get bored with your supplies. Here are some examples :
  • Week 07 : use a prompt. This was Valentine's week and I designed some 'I love' journaling cards with a Silhouette to use all week long.
  • Week 18 : focus on one color or colors. This week I was inspired by Jamaica + Vee and had a 'White Week.'
  • Week 35 : choose a topic of focus. This week I decided to get more ME in my album and documented more of my stories.
  • Week 36 : use products from one manufacturer or line to pull the spread together. This week I used some of my favorite Elle's Studio products and was honored to be their Project Life guest.
  • Week 46 : use a kit to unify the look of your layout. This week I used Studio Calico's Sock Hop card kit.

And last but not least, all of my Project Life layouts from 2012 can be seen here. As a member of the Studio Calico Project Life Creative Team, I will be sharing my 2013 layouts using their kits monthly - those posts will be here. I am also creating a school / childhood album for my daughter using Becky Higgins Mayfield Childhood Mini Kit. You can see what I've done with that album so far here.

Have any questions? Did I forget something? Feel free to ask in the comments below. Happy Project Life-ing!!

4 comments:

  1. you're such a PRO! I admire how organized & disciplined you are with PL.
    Maybe organization IS my downfall & why I can't get into a PL groove...
    sigh...
    This is a wonderful, well-thought out post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your work! If I could ask, how frequently do you refill your ink for your printer? I'm in the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! There are 7 cartridges in my printer and I probably have replaced each one about 3 times in the last year. Some go faster than others. I print every week, so I've definitely given it a workout. If cost is an issue, look into a rewards program at Office Depot/Staples/etc to recycle the used cartridges. It's saved me quite a bit of money. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Found you thru pinterest. I have two PL kits and I am so anxious to get started. Going to look at your other post now : )

    ReplyDelete