Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December Daily 2012 : Days 1 - 5

I had a little bit of a slow start with my December Daily but once I got started putting my pages together, I'm loving it more and more. I have a ton of photos to share today of the first five days. At the very end of this post I've included product links for most everything I could find.
I already have two "opening" pages, but I had to use this calendar from the 25 Days class at Studio Calico in some way.
 
I cut a rounded notch near the top right corner and sewed the calendar down to a painted chipboard page on three sides to make a pocket to hold a December bucket list I had written. Before I stitched it in place I added lots of layers - washi, diecuts, sequins and a label.
The next page was from Friday night (November 30th) when our Elf made his appearance for the first time. I asked Mark to get some balloons on his way home to tie to the Elf (and make it look like he flew in on them from the North Pole.) Mark put him up on the roof and after it got dark, we took the kids outside to look at the lights on the house for the first time. Morgan spotted the Elf right away!
 
The base of the page is white woodgrain cardstock misted with Gold Mister Hueys.
I cut a bunch of shapes from some shimmery vellum to add here and there throughout the album.
 
Morgan named the Elf Charlie. 
I used the dashed lines in the gray patterned paper for journaling and followed the diagonal lines in the striped paper for the title.
Ok, finally, December 1.
We didn't do a whole lot 'holiday' related, but Morgan and Parker did like seeing their advent / Christmas countdown books out again. The 'Celebrate the Season' digital brush is from Ali Edwards.
On the right side is a piece of gold star transparency from Fancy Pants.
Just a simple vellum speech bubble and banner from the Studio Calico kit. (The photo you see underneath it is from the next day.)
December 2. The day we bought our Christmas tree. We have awesome high ceilings in our living room and have splurged on a real (and tall) tree ever since our first Christmas in this house.
On the back of the transparency, I just backed the embellishments from the previous page as best I could.
Those little veneer trees are the cutest, yes?
On the right side is a picture of Mark and Morgan at the tree lot. I used one of the stamps from Ali's stamp set with Stazon to fill in a bit of the white space.
The mistable star was sprayed with more Gold Mister Huey's + I added a couple of enamel dots.
My original plan was to have two 2-page spreads per weekend day, assuming we'd have more going on on those days. Now, after 5 days, I think I'm going to have to not do that because of how full it is getting already. No worries, I feel like I still have a lot of flexibility with pages and the content I plan to include.
On the next spread I added the price tag from our tree (yay to my hubby for remembering to ask for it!)
I wish I could include smell in this album because nothing beats the scent of a real tree.
On the right side I cropped a couple more photos down from our trip to the tree lot. One of Parker digging in the rocks (so typical Parker) and one of the tree in sticking out of Mark's Element. She's a big one.
I stamped the 1-31 numbered stamp from Ali's set along the bottom of the chipboard and used the circle stamp in blue to highlight the "2" for December 2nd.
December 3. Foggy + 57 degrees in Michigan. Not very December-like.
It was difficult to photograph, but on the left side I stamped my 'good cheer' stamp on a diagonal, all over the page. I stamped one near the center first - in Versamark and then embossed it with red glitter Zing - then I stamped the rest and embossed it in a clear glitter powder. Voila, custom patterned paper.
On the right side was another page protector. I added a square photo I took of the fog from our driveway and added my labels, washi and alpha stickers along the left side.
December 4. A super simple spread I made using a new 4x6 layered template from Ali Edwards.
I was listening to Christmas music most of the afternoon from my iPhone through the Pandora app. Whenever a new song came on, I took a screenshot of the album cover. Once I had a good collection, I just added them to the layered template. For the label in the center, I turned off the layer that was part of the template and added my own title over it in Bebas Neue.
On the right side is a plain transparency.
What you see behind it is part of the next day, so here's a better peek.
December 5. The day we visited Santa.
Duplicating embellishments on the back side again.
The right side is a kraft bag that I cut the seams apart on and refolded it to fit in the album. I made a new 'bottom' with the red and white star washi and punched binder holes in the edge.
Inside the bag is the photo we got of Morgan + Parker with Santa. I am shocked, but so very happy my little man remained happy and didn't cry at the sight of the big man in red.
You can see on the backside how I refolded the bag and adhered it as best I could to look like it did originally. I used the Smash paper clip to hold the photo in the bag.
On the right side is another page protector. I slipped in a few small embellishments from the kit that were smaller than 2" wide and sewed them in tight to the edge. I had 4" left for an Instagram picture that I took of the kids on the second level of the mall, looking through the glass railing, down at Santa.
Even though they had already visited him, they were completely in awe of him. He even caught a glimpse of them looking down and he waved up at them. Lots of giddiness and laughter. Over the photo I added another Ali holiday word art brush that almost fills the whole image. I love how that turned out, and how you can see Santa is in the O of 'you'.
The banner that says 'joy' on it was another vellum piece I cut and stamped with one Ali's stamps from the set in the kit. It is folded and stapled to the outside of the page protector and on the next day, the 6th, the backside of the banner also says joy. You will see in my next December Daily post that I added embellishments in that 2" wide strip that will be visible on the next day, before I sewed it shut.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for looking! 

The vast majority of my supplies came from the Studio Calico December Daily kit, but I'm including links below to the other products and tools I'm using for this project. You can see my cover and foundation pages here. You can read about the embellishment kit I made to supplement my kit here. Most of the printables and diecuts were provided with the Studio Calico 25 Days class.

16 comments:

  1. Your album is amazing!! I especially love your use of all of the transperency's. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a fan of your mini books. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.my.gracious. this ROCKS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome nicole! I love your Pandora Page- great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your album looks fabulous! I love the wood veneer trees too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your album looks amazing. It is wonderful. Great job. I enjoyed looking at it and have been inspired myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your book is wonderful. Every page is a treat to see. Love the colors you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  8. in a word, WOW!!!! I think this is the most detailed I have seen yet! I love the ickle embellishemnt clusters most of all! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I love love love your album! I didn't end up doing a separate album this year - am including the December Daily photos in my Project Life instead, but your album is so inspiring I might have to do a special one next year. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! Your album is amazing! So many awesome details! I can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks amazing so far, Nicole! You are so creative. I love all of your little embellishments. Super fun. Keep up the great work! This makes me so excited to document Christmas once Kennedy is old enough to appreciate it like Morgan and Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful details. Thanks for the great explanations and close up shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. Loving your album , lots of beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. I'm sharing the digital part of my album on my blog and plan to share the progress of the physical album soon...

      Delete