Monday, November 19, 2012

December Daily 2012 : Cover + Foundation Pages

Today I want to share my cover and foundation pages for this years December Daily album. If you are new to my blog, or missed my previous planning posts, I am using Studio Calico's December Daily kit this year.

The 4x6 album is linen-covered and I wanted to keep it simple, as I have the last two years.
I simply wrapped the cover with red ribbon and tied it in a bow. I cut a snowflake on the Silhouette from Powder POW and strung it onto a small safety pin with a white tag. On the safety pin I added a few clear seedbeads (from my jewelry making days) for a little extra sparkle. The white tag was stamped with a Stampin Up calendar stamp and the badge and veneer numbers were part of the kit.
On the inside of the album, I added another badge to the ribbon with a small jewelry tag, veneer snowflake and rhinestone.
The kit came with an assortment of clear transparency, chipboard and page protectors and I really want to take advantage of the different pages and mix them up throughout the album. My type A personality wants to do it in an orderly fashion though. So I came up with a pattern that could be repeated to get the best use of all the products.

With 20 page protectors, 10 chipboard pages, 5 transparencies and 5 of my own patterned transparencies, this was my pattern :

clear transparency
page protector
chipboard
page protector
star transparency
page protector
chipboard
page protector
(repeat 5 times)

So the opening page was a clear transparency that I decorated with several layers of embellishments.
 Ribbon, number clips from my stash, veneers, a diecut and mini tag. Here is a closeup :
And the back. I lightly misted the star with gold Mister Huey's.
Page two is a page protector. I just slipped the gold polka dot vellum paper in and embossed the 'hello December' arrow in white on white paper.
A little washi, a few enamel dots, done.
And the back.
And the pattern continues. I lightly painted the chipboard pages with Jenni Bowlin malted milk paint. Just a thin, somewhat streaky coat to add a bit of texture. Right now I'm thinking these are the pages I'll mist on or add more paint layers too. Plus there will be photos and/or journaling to cover up these not-so-perfect pages.
As I went through the album, I added a sticky note so I know which pages belong to which day.
My plan is to do one 2-page spread for the weekdays and two 2-page spreads on the weekends, when we'll be doing more family activities like getting our tree and celebrating with family. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will also get two 2-page spreads. 
I didn't really have a rhyme or reason to which page protectors got patterned paper and which didn't. If I decide to use a full photo instead of the paper, it's very easy to pull out and move around. Right now, this gives me a good base to work from.
I will likely add full photos to the pages after a transparency, like December 17 above, because I like the look of being able to see through the clear page and peek at what's next.
That pattern above repeated until I got through Christmas Day and I have a couple of extra pages leftover. It already looks nice and full.
As the month goes on, if I think it's getting too full, I'll probably cut down on the weekend/double spread pages. 'Make it work' is the theme for this project but I am not afraid of a chunky album.

I am so excited to start! Last night I decided to make some room and I organized my supplies so they are at hand each night when I hope to work on my layout for the day.

I have an IKEA Raskog cart that I keep my most often used embellishments in. I relocated the items in the top tray so I could put the contents of my kit in there.
On my desk I filled a wood clementine box with my stamping, embossing and misting supplies.
Next to it, I tossed the leftover patterned paper from my foundation pages into a plant pot. As I need scrap paper, I can rifle through there easily. Most of the pieces are 2" x 6" and will also work great for punching and making Silhouette cuts. I plan to use every little bit of this kit that I can!
Before I close, I wanted to share a couple links, especially for those who haven't done a December Daily before. In my last post, I got some questions about planning for those 'ordinary' days where you don't think you have anything to document. These links have great ideas that I referred back to several times last year.
And that's it - I think I'm ready to play! How about you? Don't know what December Daily is? Check out the huge compilation of links and inspiration on Ali Edwards blog.

19 comments:

  1. I really like your foundation page ideas! You're album is going to be beautiful! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Album with cover and foundation pages are really great. After reading this blog, i am also planning to have such kind of family album for new year.
    new years eve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you have your page order laid out! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic Nicole! Great use of the kit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great post and love how you are doing your album!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that idea, album looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks wonderful! you are making great use of the kit! I am excited about my DD, too!!! I will be back to see your process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking CaptureYour365's December list! December Daily is one of my favorite projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my I love your ideas! Really looks like your book should come together very quickly. Lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute!! You are extremely creative, I can't wait to see how you fill it up. Thanks for sharing :)

    Linda
    http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! A few of your ideas might just sneak into my album :). And I love the OCD-ness, definitely on my wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic. Great job. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete