Wednesday, October 17, 2012

on my mind : December Daily + Project Life

It's only October and I am so crazy excited about this year's December Daily. And I don't think I'm alone! My original plan was to stick with the size I've been using the last two years - 6x8 - and build my own little kit of paper and embellishments to use. I love that size. It's perfect for fitting two 4x6 photos on a page, a multi-photo collage or single enlargement. Plus it's a good size for adding the extra stuff - the price tag from the tree, the holiday flyers and catalog covers, the kids artwork, recipes from our cookie exchange. Not too big, not too small. Plus the anal side of me wanted all of my December Daily albums to be the same size. I thought I had it all figured out.
Except what's different this year is I'm also doing Project Life. I still wanted to make a separate December Daily album, but how would I decide what stories would go in each album? When Studio Calico announced they were accepting preorders for their December Daily kit last month, I was kind of turned off by the small size of the album. A true mini at just 4x6, I didn't think I could fit everything that I was accustomed to documenting in such a tiny album. Some of the ladies I chat with online with joked that our albums would be 6 inches thick at that size.
photo source : Studio Calico
As Studio Calico began releasing peeks into the kit (which is now sold out), I knew I'd regret not getting it if I didn't hit that preorder button. The fabric covered album looks really nice, the stamp set Ali designed is awesome and I adore the color scheme in the paper pad and embellishments (above). Since my holiday stash is nearly non-existant and I hadn't begun buying anything yet, it wasn't hard to talk myself into it. I am so very excited about getting my first kit next month and putting together my foundation pages.

As far as Project Life goes, I plan on continuing to document weekly as I have been all year, but I think to make it a little easier on myself I am going to do just one page a week using the Design F page protector. I will put the everyday type stories, photos and stuff in Project Life and the holiday memories - tree shopping, visiting Santa, making cookies - in my December Daily.
After I get my foundation pages complete, I'm going to put together a small kit of holiday themed paper and embellishments to use for Project Life in December so my weekly layout goes together quickly and smoothly (and looks festive as well). I hope to stay caught up with both projects throughout the month - and if I'm lucky (and this would be major luck), I'll work on documenting each day of December Daily that night and Project Life on the following Monday (as I have been all year). Life happens though, especially during the busiest month of the year.

So until my kit arrives, I'm searching for and pinning inspiration on my December Daily Pinterest board. I'm eagerly awaiting to see how Ali plans her pages too!

If you are new-ish to my blog, you can see my past completed December Daily albums here - 2010 and 2011. If you have no idea what December Daily is, Ali Edwards has a great compilation of her albums + other ideas and inspiration on her blog here.

Anyone else thinking about their December Daily yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you have a plan in the works! And speaking of the holidays, I will be posting a sneak in the next day or so of the new stamps I am putting in the shop next week. Fun!!

15 comments:

  1. I'm getting really excited about December Daily too! This will be my first year and my daughter just turned one, so it's really motivating to think about recording the memories. I read some recommendations for Shimelle's Journal Your Christmas class, so I signed up for that, and am getting even more excited after reading some of the prompts!

    I'm going to be doing a 6x8 version and am thinking of using the PL-like divided pages in either a Studio Calico Handbook or the new Simple Stories Sn@p! albums. Everyone seems to be out of stock in both so far. Don't they know we're excited to start planning? :P Seriously, though...I feel like if I don't get started prepping my book ahead of time, there's no way that I'll keep up and I want to finish this project!

    I'm off to look at your albums for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 6x8 divided page protectors! I used the Simple Stories binder and protectors on a mini album recently and really enjoyed using them. The SC Handbooks and Snap binders should be available anytime now. I just saw the Snap binders and accessories in my Archiver's yesterday!

      And I think you are absolutely right. Having a great album base does help with the 'getting it done' aspect. :) Best of luck to you!!

      Delete
  2. Okay, so looking at your 2011 album has me questioning the divided pages because I love your full bleed pages with the overlays. I think I'll be using the divided pages for the "extras" but do the daily pages full size. Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those full bleed pages + overlays are fun. You can still do the divided pages and slip the bigger 'enlargements' in the full 6x8 page protectors. So many options!

      Delete
    2. Oh, good call on the full page protectors. I didn't think of that and was trying to reconcile how to account for the difference in page size in my brain. ;)

      I fell into the rabbit hole today looking at your old posts (and Pinterest, and, and...) and am now even more excited!

      Delete
  3. Love your December Daily's, Nicole! That's the reason I ended up subscribing your blog in the first place. Love reading your posts, also about simplifying. I'm not a DD person, though I love those albums. I really enjoy seeing what you guys make. Happy greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this post! I am doing my first DD this year and was starting to worry that I am the only one trying to plan it now. Do you have an idea ahead of time what you want to put in there, aside from the usual December stuff? For those days that, somehow, nothing is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to be my first year, too, and I'm trying to plan ahead to *try* to alleviate my common problem of giving up when I get behind.

      I came across a thread from 2011 on Two Peas (I think via a link on Ali's site) where people had posted a ton of photo ideas. I ended up making a list to refer to -- both so that I don't forget something important, and also to give me ideas to fill up the days that are slower. Here's the link in case it helps you, too: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&forum_id=10&thread_id=3130335

      Delete
    2. Hi Nat! No I don't have an idea ahead of time of what will go on each day - other than the typical Santa visit, cookie making day, picking out a tree day. Here are a couple of great links that I've referred to with ideas for those 'ordinary' days : http://aliedwards.com/2011/11/december-daily-2011-25-ideas-and-story-inspirations.html and http://captureyour365.com/2010/12/25-december-daily-photo-ideas/ Good luck to you!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I've been thinking about it. But mostly I've been thinking about how I need to finish my 2010 and 2011 books first. ha! I did manage to finally complete 2009 this summer, but I still need some serious motivation. I'm working my way through 2011 now since I didn't take many notes and I want to record what I can before I forget it all. It's not going to end up being a 'daily' either because I got sick and that whole picture taking thing just didn't happen. I love your albums, especially the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your 2011 December Daily. I am jumping on the bandwagon as well, and can't wait to follow along with yours. I didn't get the Studio Calico kit, but I got another one and plenty of goodies from Archivers and Paper Source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your DD. Thanks for sharing.
    I have the studio calico DD coming.
    Looking forward to completing this album this year

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still super DUPER love your album cover from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started planning already too, I'm going to use the simple stories album. This will be my first year as well so I am determined to be ready. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete