Friday, October 12, 2012

Kauai : a divide + conquer mini album

Over the summer I signed up for Lisa Truesdell's Divide and Conquer class over at Two Peas and today I wanted to share my completed album. We had a destination wedding in Kauai 8 years ago, and while I have our professional wedding photos in a scrapbook, I never documented the rest of our trip. This album (which is a Simple Stories 6x8 album + assorted page protectors) and class ended up being a perfect solution to getting those photos and memorabilia out of a box.

It's not a word heavy album at all. 8 years later, I had very little in the way of notes or journaling. I wasn't a 'scrapbooker' back then so there wasn't a big desire to keep track of where we ate and what we did every waking minute. :) So, maybe it's just a dressed up photo album? I love it just the same. It's so much nicer to have these photos in a book where we can all look at them now. Plus I learned and experimented with some fun new techniques.

So, here is the album, page by page. You can also view most of it in Two Peas gallery as a slideshow here. Let me know if you have any questions about the products I used. I linked to most of them in the Two Peas link above.
The cardstock 'waves' of sand and water were inspired by Kinsey Wilson's mini album cover here. It is hard to see in a photograph, but they are more visible in an upside down view :
The opening page. It was fun to take advantage of all those divided pockets and create some see-through elements throughout the album. Wound around the binder rings is the shell necklace I was given at the luau after our wedding (Mark has a matching one I have kept in a box here at home). It fits really nicely in the binding and the album still closes completely.
Gold ampersand mini print from Tina Aszmus. Believe it or not, I still had a flower from my wedding lei, pressed between wax paper. So happy to be able to slip that in a pocket! Instead of stitching the top, or adding washi tape so it wouldn't slip out, I used my tiny attacher and stapled through the stem to keep it in place. It worked perfectly.
I had some printed handouts leftover from the readings during our ceremony and after trimming them down, they fit nicely in the 6x8 page protectors.
I folded our wedding certificate in half but there was about 1/2" of extra space to fill. I trimmed 1/4" off the page protector and added washi tape to the edge to close the side back up. I could have sewn it shut too but at this point I was nervous about doing that. You'll see later that I did get brave and experimented with thread + plastic.
Another see-thru pocket. Some heart confetti and veneer, girl and boy potty people veneers and an ormolu flair button. Washi to seal up the top. Done.
My mom was kind enough to give me her map from our trip for my album. I added a fabrip to the edge and punched holes in it (instead of through the map) to add it to the album. Now you can open the map completely without taking it out of the binder.
Not a lot to say about our rental house we stayed in, but I didn't want to leave the photos bare. I added some little Lilybee alpha letters to the center of the photos and cut down some Hambly cloud overlay as a divider.
You can't go to Hawaii and not get in some surfing time. This spread was about Mark's experience. The 'you' flair button is on the outside of the page protector where the four 3x4 pockets intersect.
And the next page was mine.
Another random flower I had kept and pressed. Into the album it goes.
When I was putting the base of this album together, I came across some photos of a hike we took on the north shore. Probably my favorite scenic shots from our trip, but they were portrait, not landscape, like the majority of the photos in the album. I thought it would be awesome to sew them into a 6x8 page protector to make it look like they were floating in the book but I was so damn nervous to try it.
I did it anyway and I LOVE how it turned out. I might just be addicted.
I used Kelly Purkey's geotag stamp on the map below, to mark out some key locations - where we stayed, where we got married, and other points of interest.
One thing I did still have was our boarding pass ticket stubs. Instead of mounting them to patterned paper, I left them as is so you can see the front and (boring) back. And you can see through to the next page, which is kind of cool.
Journaling for this album was tough - trying to remember things about a trip we took so long ago - and I wasn't sure how to close the album. I decided to make note that while we were there in 2004, I didn't complete this book until 2012. I wrote a little bit about how our vacation in Hawaii was the starting point to years and years of incredible trips for us. And that we are really really really hoping to go back for our 10th anniversary - with our kids.
The envelope in the back holds the actual notes that I did take during the trip (only about 4 days worth) as well as contact phone numbers and other travel info I had written down prior to the wedding. Before I punched holes in the envelope, I reinforced the edge with a little pink washi tape. Of course.

And that's it! If you've made it this far, thank you so much for looking! I really enjoyed taking this class and making this album. I'm already dreaming up my next divide + conquer project! If you have any questions, or I forgot to cover something, feel free to ask in the comments.

Have a wonderful weekend!

22 comments:

  1. Really love how your album turned out! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sewing! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic Nicole! You did a really amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Love how the album turned out - and it's always better late then never - you've given me some faith in myself to maybe get a few albums of my own finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing and wonderful album!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is SO amazing!!!!! i love all of the details, especially the pressed flowers. and yay that you took the plunge and stitched on the page protectors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome album! So amazing and inspiring! Hope you don't mind if I pin it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all. Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
  8. Love this! Makes me want to pull out my Jamaica honeymoon pics! What album did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I used a Simple Stories 6x8 album and page protectors. The new Studio Calico Handbooks and page protectors would also work great for this kind of mini!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I was wondering about the SC page protectors because I was thinking of using those but can't seem to find the handbooks or SS album anywhere. Hot commodity I guess!

      Delete
  9. wow! this is amazing! you did an awesome job on this little album, love your floating photo and how you put in the map so it can still be viewed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is fabulous! I just got married in October and you've given me so much to inspire an album of my own...plus signing up for Lisa Truesdell's class too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with this album! I randomly ran across it but it's given me so many ideas already! It's 1 am but I love this so much I'm ready to start now!

    My husband & I have gone to Kauai for the last 4 years (starting on our 5th anniversary) and I have lots of memories that would work perfectly in this format.

    Hope you get to go back with your kids. We don't have any but every time we're there we talk about how great/fun it would be with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this album! I came across it while researching the Divide & Conquer class. I am planning to scrap my honeymoon to the Dominican Republic (from 8 years ago) in a 6x8 album. I am having a hard time deciding where to start. Can you share how long it took you to create the album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jac! I started by organizing my photos and the little bit of memorabilia I had from the trip. I chose my absolute favorites and put them in somewhat chronological order so I knew how to choose what page protectors I'd use. I roughly slipped photos in the page protectors and used lots of post it notes to label what would go in the other pockets so the actually 'work' part of putting the album together went quickly. I completed the album during a weekend crop - so I'd say it took 2 full days (with lots of breaks) to finish. :)

      Delete
    2. WOW! That is amazing! You may have just completely sold me on the class :). I have spent a chunk of time just staring at the items on my desk already....I am ready to get this project finished. Thanks so much for the great inspiration!

      Delete
    3. The class is so worth it! Lisa even talks about building a kit for your album so you already have your supplies out and ready to use. That was a huge help and timesaver, instead of sifting through everything all the time. :) Good luck with your album!

      Delete