Saturday, August 4, 2012

the completed camping mini album

I finished my camping mini album last week and today I want to show it to you in full. I did as much planning as I could before the trip, somewhat following Ali's Scrapbook on the Road process. I cut down all of my papers and punched the holes, decorated the binder cover (which you can see more details here) and assembled what I had before the trip. 
What I didn't do was take the album with me. I learned last year that with two little ones and lots of other people to visit + hang out with at the campground, there isn't a lot of down time. This year, all of my down time was spent napping. :) Fine by me. It was just one less thing to pack.

I didn't collect very much ephemera this time. Much of what I gathered last year - maps, farmers market flyers, brochures - was the same stuff I could have taken this year and I really didn't want to repeat myself. You can see my minibook from last year's trip here.

Once we got home, I edited and sized all of my photos down, trying to sketch up mini layouts to fit on each page. I really didn't have any rhyme or reason as to what went where, on what paper and at what size. The photos ranged from as small as 2x3 to full page, 6x8. Once I gathered the few notes/stories I wrote down during the trip, I got to work.

Lots of photos below - feel free to click on the images to enlarge them if you want to see them in detail or read the journaling : 
On the right, I included our camper / parking pass as a page :
On the left, I used the food planning menu that Mark made as a page and wrote a little bit about how we probably brought too much food :)
Inside the envelope flap, I added a QR code (totally addicted to adding these to my projects now) for a video of Morgan and my sister playing tag on our campsite. That will be super cute to scan and watch in a few years when all of the kids are so much older :
Loved using the Ormolu Treehugger Dots n' Spots on pages that I didn't have anything to fill the space.
On the last page of patterned paper, I followed the diagonal lines and wrote a little bit about the trip. Some closing thoughts :
If you made it this far, thank you so much for looking! If you'd like any details on the products I used, feel free to ask in the comments.

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this!!! Makes me want to go make a mini!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful album. It looks like you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing!! glad you napped & had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I looked at your old album and saw how you punched hole right into the brochure to post inside. That is great. This actually made me feel as if I could do something like this. Thanks for sharing!

    I do have a question about your pictures: How do you print off your photos? (at home computer, drug store photo center or portable printer)
    Thanks

    Cody
    http://solemnsound.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can do it! :) I print from home on an Epson Stylus Photo R2880 printer with Epson paper and absolutely love it.

      Delete
  5. This is awesome! LOVE it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Nicole. I love your camping album, again so much inspiration.
    Love that l am not the only one who plans out camping meals and has a checklist :-)

    Chrisy
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing album! I live it! Your photos are amazing as well! What inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! I loved using your camping flair in this mini. So cute and fun. :)

      Delete
  8. I love this album--you did a great job! I have a question: What did you use for the white writing/pen? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a Sharpie Extra Fine White Poster Paint pen for writing on photos.

      Delete