Sunday, August 26, 2012

my less list : no 21

I am back this weekend, feeling quite refreshed after a 24 hour digital sabbatical that was suggested by Courtney from Be More with Less on Twitter last Friday. No phone and no computer from 4pm Saturday until 4pm today, and I handled it surprisingly well. I may write a blog post later this week about my 'day off' since I was keeping a little journal of how I was doing / feeling during the break. Until then, here are my five things this week :
  1. Find a natural / homemade solution for cleaning wood floors. I searched online for a while with no avail. Seems there is a popular solution that includes vinegar but I've heard issues with it stripping the finish on wood floors. That said, I'm not brave enough to put vinegar, even a very diluted version, on our bamboo floors. Gonna stick with store-bought for now.
  2. Put some of the scrapbooking supplies that didn't sell at the garage sale a few weeks ago on eBay - mostly stamp sets + tools. I didn't get to this one. Partly because I'm finding odds and ends to add to the pile. And I'm procrastinating because it seems like such a big task. Sigh.
  3. Replace my horribly over-used, prone to break sweeper / mop and cutting board with newer models. I have put this off for soooooo long. Done and I love them both.
  4. Do another mini toy purge. This time, the stuffed animals, dolls / babies and dress-up accessories are the focus. You know, the stuff that Morgan goes on and on about not wanting to clean up, every single day. Got this done too. I didn't remove much but now her baskets and drawers aren't overflowing. Good deal.
  5. Fall is approaching and the kids are ready with new cooler weather wardrobes. I think it's time I evaluate my own clothing and make a list of what I need (socks + jeans!) and want (cozy sweaters). With that will be another mini closet purge of the clothes I didn't even wear this summer. I can say with confidence if I haven't worn it the past three months, I probably won't wear it a year from now either. Geez, what did I do this week? Another fail here. Hope to tackle it this week.
On the spending front, I feel I've done really well. I stepped foot in Target for the first time all month just this weekend (woah, right?) and bought right from my list, nothing frivolous. I bought one scrappy item with some my dessert contest winnings and used a gift card on a Frappuccino over the weekend (which was sadly disappointing). Five days left and I love how this little challenge has made me more aware of what I have and what I think I want or need.

Each week I write a short list, no more than 5 items long, of simple tasks that I want to complete during that week. Small things, not huge projects, that I can easily do in the span of 7 days. Things that will keep me focused + help me keep my eyes open to the big picture. You can read more about my One Little Word, less, why I chose it + how I'm documenting it in 2012 here. You can read all of my (now updated) less lists here.

5 comments:

  1. As always your less list inspires me!! Thanks for sharing! &Where on eBay can I find your scrap goods!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always your less list inspires me!! Thanks for sharing! &Where on eBay can I find your scrap goods!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I'm not sure yet if I'll put it on ebay or in my etsy shop. I'll post when I do. :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry my comment posted twice, not sue why that happened! But thanks, sounds good!:)

      Delete
  3. Funny that you mention natural wood floor cleaner as I just came across one the other day I want to try. I found it on another blog (and I don't know where) but it called for 1/2 cup white vinegar for every 1 gallon of warm/hot water. You can add a few drops of essential oil to take away the vinegar smell. Use a mop or rags to clean your hard wood as usual.

    I am also right there with you on ebaying old scrapbooking supplies. Would love to get my paper sized box of stamps on this weekend...that is a task and a half!

    ReplyDelete