Thursday, July 12, 2012

camping mini album : the binder

A few weeks ago, I worked on decorating the binder that will hold our photos, journaling + stuff from our upcoming camping trip. I'm using a half-size Ormolu chipboard binder that is completely bare + naked. Oh the possibilities! Typically, I would leave it as is and go very simple, with minimal embellishments. But this time, I decided to step a bit out of my comfort zone and get creative with it. I don't have lots of step-by-step photos, just a few I shared on Instragram as I went along, but I hope I can explain how I did it.

First, in Silhouette Studio, I opened the US map diecut (which was the free shape of the week a while ago). I ungrouped it and copied Michigan onto a new page. I enlarged it about as big as I could to fit on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of cardstock. After sending it through the Silhouette, I used the negative (or everything but the Michigan state pieces) and adhered the cardstock to the opened binder with some Smash tape.
I used a Versamark inkpad and dabbed it, upside down, on the open areas of the diecut. After I removed the cardstock, I sprinkled UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel) over the Versamark and embossed it all with my heat gun.
 
It turned out really cool, but was clearly missing something / more. I let it sit for a few days while I pondered my next step.
I decided to get out the mists. I used the positive of the Michigan diecut and laid it back over my embossing job to protect the glossy finish. I first sprayed the album, concentrating on the areas around the diecut, with Mr. Huey's Water Cooler and after that dried, a few sprays of White.
After it was all dry, I outlined Michigan with a thin black pen and added some embellishments.
An Ormolu fabric tag, sale tag and flapper, some Flair for Buttons and Hambly, a Studio Calico star, and an arrow clip.
I'm so happy with how it turned out! Now, onto filling it up...
Thanks for peeking!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love. What a wonderful home for all of your upcoming memories! Have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how your binder turned out. Mr. Huey was an awesome choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this!! I really want to try something like it for one of my vacation mini books! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute. I love what you did with the mists. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY!! I absolutely LOVE this, like REALLY love it!!! (helps that I'm a Michigan Native of course). Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete