Friday, June 8, 2012

20 Questions : The New Birthday Interview Book for Kids

I am so excited to introduce the new 20 Questions books!
CLICK IMAGE ABOVE TO PURCHASE
I've changed up the 20 Questions books I was selling in my Etsy shop and designed a new photobook version that is being printed and shipped through Blurb.

If you aren't familiar with the original album, the first one was made for my daughter, Morgan, when she turned 3 a couple years ago. The idea is simple. Ask your child the same 20 questions, like what is your favorite color, song, outfit, etc. every year on or around their birthday. Record the answers on the questionnaire and slip in a photo on the opposite page. In 10 years, you would have a fun and full little album of memories from their early childhood.

You will find all of the pertinent details on Blurb's website, or in the bookstore, but this is basically the scoop (and how the new book differs from the original album) :

  • Size : 7" x 7" (by comparison, the scrapbook albums were 8" x 8")
  • Format : softcover bound book
  • Available colors : Red, Pink, Green, Blue + Gray
  • Interview Age Range : 3-18 (the standard scrapbook was ages 3-12)
  • Price : $29.95 plus shipping (virtually worldwide)

The biggest advantage of having these books printed and shipped through Blurb is that they are made to order. No risk of them selling out like the albums I was making by hand. You can order as many as you like, whenever you like. You can buy one for yourself, or give one as a gift. You can keep one for you and one for the child. And they are awesome. If you have ever made or ordered a book printed by Blurb, you know how wonderful their quality is. Before I made them available to you, I ordered one of each color for myself, to make sure they are perfect.
Even though the size of the book is a bit smaller, you still have a lot of options as far as adding a photo to each yearly spread. You could add a 4x6 photo - landscape or portrait. Fancy it up with some pretty photo corners. Maintain the square format and order or print 5x5 or 6x6 photos for each year. Or maybe you enjoy using a fun phone app, like Instagram, where the photos are automatically square. Import your photo into the app and apply a filter if you wish. Look how cute a 4x4 Instagram photo looks!
When the book is full - with 16 years of photos - it is not a whole lot thicker than an empty book. Below, the left (pink) album is empty. The right (blue) album has a 4x6 photo on each 2-page spread. 16 photos slipped within the pages of the book. It's full, but the binding is still tight and the pages don't flair at all. It is not nearly as 'bloated' as I thought it might be. (This was also a big reason for the test runs and sample printing). I was really impressed with how well that worked out.
Because I'm not stocking my shop with the scrapbook-style albums at this time, some people have asked what they should do if their son or daughter is older than the starting age of 3. What if they are 4, or 6? What do you do with the previous pages? My suggestion has been to fill out those pages to the best of your ability, and answer the questions with what you remember their favorites to be at those ages. Maybe you can ask for help or opinions from the child's mother/father, older siblings, or others that may be close to them. That is my "what would you do" answer.

For you crafty, scrapbooking, DIY-types, the PDF of the questionnaire will always be available in my shop if you'd rather make your own album.

You can see page-by-page previews of each book on Blurb and if you have any questions at all, I can respond to comments below or you can email me at nicole.s.reaves AT gmail DOT com. Thank you so much for your interest, excitement and support!

15 comments:

  1. I think I'll get two of the books one for me to keep and one for my daughter to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea - then you both get to keep one!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea and would like to start on my little one's next bday. Is there a way to order a book starting at age 5? I hate to purchase a pre-printed book that will have two blank pages as she will be 5 this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, the Blurb books are not customizable. Based on demand, I may consider making the original scrapbook version through custom requests on Etsy again in the fall.

      Delete
  3. It's finally raining in Ohio, so I've spent the afternoon organizing my computer. In the process, I came across your blog. I love the idea of this book. My kids are a little older, we have a New Year's book that we fill out every year. Just a thought, that might be something for you next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!

    I love this idea!!! I was wondering if you had any way to put a child's name on the cover and maybe binding of the books?

    Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!

      The books are so thin, I can't guarantee any kind of title on the binding would be perfectly center during printing and assembly. I cannot customize/personalize the Blurb books, but if you wanted to add your child's name to the book - other than handwriting it on yourself - you could print a small sticker with his/her name on the cover.

      Delete
  5. I hope you do not mind but I pinned your 20 Question book from Etsy on pinterest.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you still selling these on Etsy? I looked and didn't find a link to them. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not stocking the shop with the scrapbook style albums at this time. The books in this post are printed and sold by Blurb, not by me. You can purchase them on their website - I've listed all of the links in the above post.

      Delete
  7. this was great inspiration for me. thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. could you give samples online since i don't have this book

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am interested in buying one of these, if you are still selling. please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links to my Blurb bookstore and the individual colors are within the post. Please try clicking the first image.

      Delete