Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One Little Word : LESS : April

Our April prompt for One Little Word was to write a letter to ourselves about where we are right now with our word. What's working, what's not working, and where we'd like to be a year from now. Since I'd taken this class last year, it was nice to read that letter again and see how things have changed. I feel like I am in a pretty good place now.
I think part of that may be because Morgan + Parker are growing up. My biggest job, first and foremost, is taking care of them. But this year, I don't have a baby in the house. Instead, my toddler + preschooler are learning right from wrong, playing nicely (and getting into trouble) together, understanding words + conversations, and are growing more independent every day. And even though Parker will be 2 in just over a month, I continue to gain confidence in my parenting abilities. Being more patient, more playful, more aware of my downfalls + better equipped to deal with tantrums + arguments. I have my days (oh, do I have my days - ahem, Monday was a doozy) but overall I feel blessed + thankful + so very happy. 

Does this sound like a tangent? The reason why I'm writing all of this is because, had I chose focus or less as my One Little Word 5 years ago (or 5 years from now for that matter), I probably would have chosen them for different reasons. What is important to me right now, on Wednesday April 25, 2012, is quite a bit different than it was 5 years ago. If Mark and I wanted ice cream for dinner back then, we'd do it without much regret. Now, making sure I'm providing my family balanced meals (and that the kids are eating most of it) is what's important to me. I'd be willing to bet that many of you are in a stage in your life that is very different than it was 5 years ago, or even last year.

My days are full - my kids keep me busy + I have plenty to do, but right now I feel less rushed about it. I am trying to make better decisions about how I spend my time and I'm working on doing one thing at a time. This thought is seriously working for me. When something or someone needs my attention, I take care of it as soon as I can. I also feel like I have gained more 'me time' - scrapbooking, reading + even a little side business. What mama doesn't love her 'me time'?
As far as sharing my project with you, I will keep it short + sweet. This is where I left off in March. Inside my mini is a small 4 bar envelope that I tucked my type-written letter into. On the front is a photo of me, from behind. The colors were crazy so I printed it in black and white.
On the back I put a couple different washi tapes on the edges of the envelope flap to keep it closed and adhered the note to self printable Ali included with a glue dot. Though it's not terribly private, I'm going to keep my letter inside there for now.
Next week, May. This might be one of my favorite prompts because it involves lists! Yippee!

3 comments:

  1. Love your book! It looks much better than the album I'm doing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love your word for 2012 and it is so true how even if we had the same word year after year, it would look so different. We grow and change so quickly.
    I'm loving how your mini is coming together. I look forward to flipping through it one day in person.

    ReplyDelete