First, the cover. I've been very attracted to all of the woodgrain scrapbooking products out there now. Just a few months ago I used Hambly's woodgrain paper on my Scrapbook on the Road. It's been out for years, but it is still a hot pattern + texture. So my idea for my cover was to use 1/16" plywood + stain it. It was a little bit of an experiment too, but the 12" x 24" piece I bought was plenty to play with. I bought a small $3 sample can of water-based stain in a coffee color and went to work. I'm using Ali's 2010 December Daily overlays (more on that later) which are 6" x 8", so I cut my covers to 6 1/4" x 8 1/2". I rounded the corners, sanded everything, and after two coats of stain, this is how it turned out :
this is where I learned about it. Pretty freakin' cool. It makes it way easier to cut shapes into felt and fabric. Nice. I cut out the felt poinsettias, turned the top one so the petals didn't completely overlap, and put a couple of stitches in the center to hold it together. I used my tape runner to adhere the flower to the wood album and then added two 1/2" glue dots (for height) to attach the December 2011 button from Ormolu. I wrote our last name on a mini hang tag and dangled it from the button with some baker's twine. And the cover was done!
If you missed it last week, I wrote a little tutorial on how I made the cover on my 2010 album.
My foundation pages, if you want to call them that, ended up being what I've been calling "bookmarks". I chose 6 holiday patterned papers with colors that matched the Ormolu Merrymaker Number Tags that I got. I cut them all down to 3" wide x 8" high and so I got 4 bookmarks out of each 12x12 sheet, plus I got another 3x8 from the gray polka dot paper (since there is no 'direction' to the paper). I adhered a number to each bookmark - kind of like a file folder tab. I attached the "3" first to get the center, then the "2" and "4" just above + below, and then the "1" and "5" at the top and bottom. And then the next group of 5, and so on. Last year I did all 31 days of December, but this year I'm only planning to do 25. Here is how the bookmarks turned out :
I'm trying to stretch my dollar a little further with this project, especially because I/we still need to purchase all of the photos that go inside the album, so I'm using the overlays Ali designed last year. I deleted the day of the week in every .png and replaced it with the correct day for 2011. I did not print all of those daily pages like last year because I am planning to use them as photo overlays - where the entire 6x8 page will be a photo with this overlay on it. Maybe with a little text or embellishment added later. On the back of each photo will be the first page of the next day and I don't know yet how I'll fill that. Maybe more journaling, some ephemera (haha, Kristin!), clipping from holiday cards we received, more photos. I'll figure that out when I get there.
For the title page, I used the one from 2010 (with the number 25) - changed the year, changed the .png to red and printed it on transparency :
- title page / transparency
- December 1 bookmark
- (back of bookmark is for journaling December 1)
- December 1 photo / overlay
- (back of photo is for extras from December 2)
- December 2 bookmark
- (back of bookmark is for journaling December 2)
- December 2 photo / overlay
- (back of photo is for extras from December 3)
- and so on...