Friday, October 7, 2011

photo tour : my scrapbook space

A few weeks ago I took over a wall in our guest room (or what we like to call Grandma's room) to set up a permanent workspace to scrapbook + craft at. I can't tell you how excited I am! It's still pretty bare, but here are a few photos :
This is the overall space. We already had the 30" cabinet, that I now keep some of my supplies in, and the countertop is just a painted door with a small L bracket at the wall. I've become accustomed to standing up while I work, so the top is at kitchen counter height, and just under 7 feet long.
My biggest purchase was two shelves from IKEA. I wanted to keep some of my most often used supplies out in the open and at eye level (so I remember to use them) and the shelves work out great. The lower shelf holds my alphabet stamps + some other wood mounted stamps, plus a small bin of tags + labels that I use a lot.
Right now, all I have on the top shelf are some colored pencils (that belonged to my Grandma + Great-Grandpa) + a glass jar I'm using to collect spare change to save up to buy Project Life supplies - a project I'm going to start in January. Eventually I'd like to frame some brush script + add a couple DIY art pieces.
Below the shelves are 5 hooks + bulldog clips. On each card is a note, a reminder, of the scrapbook projects or layouts that I want to work on. So when I do get 15 minutes, or a couple hours, to work on something, I'm not spending my time trying to figure out what or where to start. When I finish one, I just flip the card over and add a new note.
On the wall I added three clipboards to hang inspiration pieces + lists. Right now, I'm hanging a calendar, a couple brush script practice sheets and a list of journaling prompts from Ali Edwards. I think this will be a fun alternative to a bulletin board to have fun prints, photos, layouts + magazine clippings right in view.
The countertop is fairly clear - other than my sewing machine, laptop, cutting mat + paper trimmer. I filled an old wood clementine box with glass jars for my often used tools - markers + pens, scissors + exacto, adhesives, stapler, punches + cropadile. I'd love to find a vintage metal toolbox to fill with these supplies but this box works fine for now.
I need to jazz it up a bit but this is already a well-loved, well-used space. Most days, I open the door just to look at it. Morgan + I have spent some rainy afternoons here painting + cutting + gluing. I even made her a box of supplies - full of paper, stickers, small punches, glue, crayons + scissors. Hearing her say "Mommy, let's go scrapbook" is music to my ears.

Have a wonderful weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I SO want a space (even a small one) that is my own. Beutifully organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the space! And Morgan's interest in scrapbooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! Troy mentioned getting my space together downstairs and I will definitely be looking for some suggestions to organize it all (and make sure most of it is out of reach of little fingers!). That's cute that Morgan wants to go "scrapbook" too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great space. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this space!!! This makes me want to revamp the totally crazy orange room to something nice and simple! Nicely done. =)

    ReplyDelete