Tuesday, September 20, 2011

my quotable kid : Morgan : 01

Over the summer, I found these blank journals on Amazon called My Quotable Kid and right away I purchased two of them - one for Morgan and one for Parker. Obviously, Parker isn't saying much right now so his is packed away, but I keep Morgan's on our kitchen counter since that seems like the best place to write down funny things she says.

Last week, this was a story I recorded :
Details : Morgan : September 15, 2011 : 3 years, 3 months old : said at breakfast at home with Mommy + Parker :

Quote reads : "I love Daddy so much! Why do we need money to buy things?"

The story behind the quote : Whenever Mark is getting ready for work, (if Morgan is awake) she almost always asks him why he has to go. Other than explaining to her that he enjoys his job as an architect, we try to tell her that Daddy's job helps him earn money for things we need, like the house, our cars and food. Today she was REALLY missing her Daddy. :(

I am amazed at how she is starting to put bits + pieces of conversations together. She understands, as much as a three-year-old can, and man, can she remember the simplest things. Things that happened weeks, even months ago. "Why do we need money to buy things?" Wow. I get a lot of "why?" questions every day, but nothing quite as complex as this. She is going to give me a run for my money trying to think of short simple explanations that she'll comprehend.

I'm not sure that stories like this would make it into her scrapbook, but I think documenting them in this little journal is perfect. To me, just getting the words written down in some form, is good enough.

Today : I am going to find joy in the simple things. This morning we are going to start with sunshine, a trip to the library, a box of Timbits and lots of lovin' on my little people because they are growing up too fast.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day! And as far as her conversations go, I'm sure she will keep you thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too smart! I love the idea of a journal though. It's a great way to document things they say and share with them later. Sounds like a fun day. Wish I could join in on the fun days. But I look forward to next summer when we can hang out whenever we want and the boys will be big enough to play with their cousins!!

    ReplyDelete