Tuesday, June 28, 2011

my plan for a slow + present summer

Now that summer is officially here, I've been reviewing our calendar and we have quite a bit planned over the next two months. For the most part, we will be staying close to home, but even then things can get busy and before you know it, it will be Labor Day. So, I took a lot of the advice in Mandi's post over at Simple Mom about Getting Organized for an Intentional Summer and started to plan. (If you want to have an intentional summer with your children, I highly recommend this blog post!)

First, I made a list of things we want to do. Everything from picnics in the park, to visiting our local farmer's market, to making popsicles and lounging in the sun. Here is my list from simple + general, to specific:

Things to do at home :
outdoors : play golf, soccer, t-ball, blowing bubbles, ride on the swings, play in the pool and water table. Go for walks around the neighborhood. Go for bike rides - alone, with Mark, and as a family. Eat meals outside as much as possible. Storytime in the grass.

crafts and activities : make homemade play-doh, make lots of Zoku popsicles and smoothies, make spray chalk, create texture books, paint rocks and continue to find and pin more ideas throughout the summer on my kids learning + activities board.

me : consolidate and minimize daytime errands, have fewer personal projects and be more efficient with household chores. Plan easy-to-make, simple ingredient meals and be prepared to grill a lot. Ask yourself "is this important?"

Around town + beyond :
go on picnics, visit our local parks - Shiawassee Park and Heritage Park - feed the ducks, go on a nature walk, play at the playground and splash pad. Visit the Detroit Zoo, Potter Park Zoo in Lansing and Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. Visit our farmer's market on Saturdays. Go to the beach and play in the sand at Lakeshore Park, Island Lake and Pontiac Lake. Cheer on Mark at his softball games. Visit the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum.

July :
Thursdays : Library Storytime at the Pavillion in Downtown Farmington at 11am if I can push Parker to take just one nap.
July 15 - 17 : Farmington Founder's Festival - Parade Downtown on Saturday at 10am.
July 20 - 23 : Ann Arbor Art Fair
July 23 : Memberfest at the Detroit Zoo
July 25 - 31 : participating in Ali Edwards' Week in the Life

August :
17 : Foofa (from Yo Gabba Gabba) appearance at The Oakland Mall (Morgan doesn't know about this - she is going to pee her pants).
24 : Marshmellow Fly + Fry at Heritage Park
29 : Splash Bash at Heritage Park
plus a long weekend with friends, camping at Port Crescent - our first family camping trip!

Another tip Mandi had was to keep a 'go bag' packed and ready to go. The idea is very similar to the restaurant bag I keep packed for that I-don't-feel-like-cooking feeling or last minute dinner invite. I'll post the contents of ours next time.

So, share with me. What are your plans this summer? Do you have more ideas I can add to my list?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Looks like you guys will have a fun fun summer. What is the membership thing at the zoo (July 23 I think?) and Morgan is definitely going to pee her pants seeing Foofa. Too bad I will be back to work that day and won't be able to see her excitement =(

    ReplyDelete