Thursday, May 12, 2011

M + P : party sneak peek : the invitation

The party prep to-do list is long but two big tasks are complete. I decided on a theme and also designed invitations for Morgan and Parker's joint birthday party next month. The theme: rainbows. Not really physical rainbows, but the colors of the rainbow. Months ago, I was dead set on having a Yo Gabba Gabba theme after finding the most adorably perfect fondant cupcake toppers on etsy. The shop, and apparently many others, either closed up shop or were evicted by etsy because their items are tagged with the phrase "Yo Gabba Gabba". Boo! And I haven't found anything even remotely close to cute. Double boo! I don't dig character-crazy parties, but the cupcake toppers would have set the kids over the top.

There are so many great birthday ideas out there. I needed to just pick one and go with it. We have many more parties to plan in the coming years. Well, until Morgan and Parker start to form an opinion. ;) After seeing lots of fun rainbow-inspired party decorations, the theme stuck. Plus it's gender neutral. Good enough. While I started to collect ideas on pinterest (which you can see here), I got to work on the invitation design because they need to be sent out asap.
It's very simple, graphic, and most importantly, rainbowy. You can't quite see it all for privacy sake - but I hope you get the gist. I still have to address envelopes but they are pretty much ready to go. I need to remember to print two extras for Morgan and Parker's scrapbooks.

Today: my babies are battling runny, stuffy noses, coughs and sneezes. Allergies? Cold? I dunno. Parker has been up since 5am and Morgan is bathed and laying on my lap on the couch. It's not even 11am and I already feel like this has been the longest day ever. We need to make a run to Michaels for some party ideas and other goodies. (hey, if you need any craft stuff too, hit their website for a 20% off friends and family coupon!) I'm thinking about lining the invitation envelopes but first I have to find the perfect paper. Not an easy feat.

P.S. I have some pinterest invites to pass along if anyone wants to join in the pinning fun. I stayed away for as long as I could, but now that I've been on it for a week or so, I'm finding this is the perfect way to bookmark and share my favorites - visually. I love it! It's addictive, but not as bad as I thought. Give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. Love the invites. Checked out your pinterest boards. So many cute ideas. Hope the kids are feeling better soon. Sounds like a low-key, snuggly type of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the rainbow theme.
    I just love Pinterest. I could hang out there all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The invitation looks great Nicole. Love all the colours you've used on it. Hmmm, pinterest - I keep hearing so much about it. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete