Friday, April 29, 2011

Our Wedding Album

In honor of our 7th anniversary tomorrow, I am finally sharing our wedding album that I completed a few years ago.
Many people have asked me if it took a long time to complete my wedding album. Or if it took a long time to decide how I wanted it to look. Or if I was worried about starting it because I wanted it to be perfect. The answer is no, no, and maybe a little. I knew I wanted to keep this scrapbook extremely simple and classic. No patterned paper and very little embellishment, if any, because I wanted us and our families and friends to be able to look at the album in 5, 10, 25 years from now and it not look too dated. And I wanted it to be done.

I wanted the focus to be on the photos - because I think they are unique. Our photographer developed our pictures at 5"x5" and I stayed with the square theme and used an 8"x8" Colorbok Perfect Scrapbook to put it all together. What also makes the photos unique is they are not of a traditional wedding. Mark and I were married on Anini Beach in Kauai, Hawaii, and on their own, tell the story of our very casual ceremony.

I laid out each page in Adobe Illustrator (my process would be a post all its own) and the only text in the album is our wedding vows, which I broke down, line by line, beneath each photo. You can read them in their entirety at the end of this post.
I did do one simple embellishment on the top outside corner of each 2-page spread. I stamped a flourish with Versamark ink and embossed the image in white, which just slightly stands out on the creamy paper. I also added black photo corners on the outside corners of each 2-page spread. My supply list is also below.

And this is my complete album:
Our vows, in full:
I, Nicole (Mark), take you Mark (Nicole),
to be my partner in life.
I will cherish our friendship and love.
I will trust and honor you.
I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst.
I will listen and be patient, trusting and open.
I will be honest, gentle and considerate.
I will laugh with you.
I will cry with you,
and share my deepest feelings with you.
As I have given you my hand to hold,
so do I give you my life to keep.

Cardstock : Bazzill (criss-cross) in Cream Puff
Stamp : Autumn Leaves Swirls V.2 by Rhonna Farrer
Other : Black photo corners, clear Versamark ink, white embossing powder
Font : Zapfino

After several years, I still love how it came together. It's simple and uniform and all of my favorite photos are in one place. And those vows still make my heart skip a beat. I love you, Mark!

For all of you ladies that are married, have you completed your wedding album? Did the layouts or design come easily to you or did you have a hard time deciding on how you wanted to record your special day? If you haven't, what's holding you back? Any thoughts on simple vs. trendy wedding albums?

Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely treatment of such beautiful and precious photos. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As old fashion as I can be sometimes, I prefer your vows to the traditional ones. To me they are so full of emotion. Especially the last line. I also think that your album is perfect, concentrating on the pictures and vows without competing with embellishments. Just my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!

    You did a beautiful job. The pages are simple, yet elegant. They highlight just the two of you and the vows you made...perfect.

    As for your questions...um...nope...I still haven't done a wedding album and we just celebrated our 22nd year of marriage. I'm going to say the main reason I haven't done so is that our pictures didn't turn out and all we have are snapshots from our guests. Now I guess the real reason is that I couldn't decide how to deal with that. I guess it might be time to work on that album! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your album - It brings back good memories! I love the simplicity. You can truly feel the love, instead of the cutesy embellishments. I have finished page #1 of mine. I think it is a mix of wanting it perfect, trying to remember the day (because it was a blur)and the anxiety I have about choosing the right photos out of the 900+ taken. =)

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful album. I got married in 2009 and still haven't done anything with my photos. Not sure why - I have one printed out and up in the lounge but that's it. I had a non-traditional wedding and think my day was so relaxed that it's carried on into sorting the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your album, the use of your vows as the pages progress is such a good idea, and the understated look is perfect for your wedding.
    I haven't made a scrapbook album for my wedding as I wasn't scrapbooking at the time (21 years ago!) and they are in a simple album provided by our photographer. I have scanned a few shots and made pages with them, but don't intend to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your album is beautiful - and I also haven't scrapbooked my wedding photos - scrapbooking wasn't around when I married. This year we celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. Happy Aniversary to you both. J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Your album is beautiful...love the simplicity of it..and your vows are also beautiful in their simplicity! TFS with us. I was married in 1980 and there was no scrapbooking per se then..though I DID scrap some of our Wedding pics at the beginning of our Silver Wedding album
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did my wedding scrapbook very simply too, but then again I think I got the idea from you =) i didn't put the vows on the pages but instead wrote down the thoughts we had at the time the picture was taken, when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the focus on the photos, to me that is what a wedding album should be :) Mine are in an album but I want to redo them. it's more the old photo album thing and the formal ones are in a photographer's album. We celebrate our 25th this June so I hope to do it before then. I think classic and timeless is the way to go for wedding albums.

    ReplyDelete