Tuesday, March 15, 2011

somewhere over the rainbow

Last week, I came across a lot of different spring and St. Patrick's Day-type kids activities (like this one), but I thought they were a little advanced for Morgan. So, I came up with this fill-in-the-blanks rainbow instead.

I grabbed some construction paper: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and white for the background. On the white piece, I drew a rainbow in pencil and Morgan and I talked about all the colors in a rainbow. I wrote out each color in it's space, and then we got cutting. I bought Morgan her first pair of rounded tip kids scissors last week during our craft supply shopping trip and wanted to see if she could get the hang of it.
I cut two narrow (about 1/2"x12") strips of each color of construction paper - one for Morgan and one for me. I showed her how hold the scissors in one hand, the paper in the other, and to snip off little pieces of paper and watch her fingers. She did really good for her first try! When she was getting frustrated, I told her she could tear the paper instead if she wanted. Nah, the scissors were more fun!
After all six colors were cut up, I spread some regular white glue in the 'red' section. I was going to put glue on the entire rainbow at first, but I wanted to avoid her putting colored paper squares wherever she pleased. Then, she stuck down as many red squares as she could fit in that strip. We continued to fill in the rainbow - orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. As we glued and stuck, I explained to her how rainbows form (as simply as I could). I hope we can see one this spring after a rain shower!

Next, the clouds. I dabbed on some more glue at the ends of the rainbow and Morgan pulled apart a few cotton balls. She pressed them on and I fluffed them up.
Pretty cute, huh? The rainbow turned out good, too! ;)
She loved her rainbow so much that she wanted to hang it up on her bedroom door. Up high though, "so Parker can't reach it."

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job Morgan. And yeah, don't want baby brother messing with all her hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. Loving the projects!!

    ReplyDelete