Friday, March 11, 2011

Project: Simplify - Hot Spot #1: The Wardrobe

This week's Hot Spot was the wardrobe. I'll admit, the contents in my closet needed an overhaul. At the beginning of the year, I started to pick and pull items out that I didn't wear anymore. Or, after two babies, didn't fit anymore. My wardrobe as a stay-at-home mom is quite a bit different than the one I had as a 9-to-5er. I started making a pile. But the pile didn't make it very far. This week's project was a good starting point for me. I completely agree with Tsh that I feel more productive (and less stressed) when I'm dressed and ready for the day. I even asked Mark if he'd play along this week and clean out his side too. He agreed with zero complaints. What a guy, huh?

Step one: laundry. I did that on Monday after I took our *before* pictures so we could go through all of our clothes at one time. On Tuesday night, after Morgan and Parker were in bed, we retreated to the bedroom to purge. We each started making piles of 'give away' and 'toss' clothing that grew quickly. We spent about an hour and a half trying on clothes and asking opinions and in the end, we each had a trash bag full of clothes that I happily took to Salvation Army on Wednesday afternoon. And we almost filled a bag of unsellable items - the unworn and overworn stuff that was stained, or holey, or was a 'backup' that was really just taking up space. I felt rather liberated getting rid of those old socks and undies.

This is the before and after of my side of the closet:
And the before and after of Mark's side of the closet:
Our closet wasn't overly stuffed, but it looks so much nicer now, especially since we don't have doors on our closet yet. On Thursday, I started rearranging. I organized my shirts by color, then Mark's shirts. Then it became a bit of an obsession and I moved on to all the folded clothes - ha ha! I'm sure it won't stay like this more than a few days, but it sure does look cool for the *after* photos! And, we also have a little more free space for some new spring and summer clothes. Though, I'd like to start to use the one-in, one-out rule.

P.S. If you are wondering were all of our shoes are, we keep them in our mudroom closet by the garage door. I try to get everyone to take off their shoes before coming through the house. With all this new flooring and a newly mobile baby, I try to keep our floors as clean as possible.

One week down, 4 to go. How'd you do? I can't wait to sneak a peek at everyone's before and afters this weekend. Scroll down to the bottom of this post to see them for yourself. I'm excited to see what Hot Spot #2 will be on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Nice work! *nods head*

    enjoy your new 'freedom'

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Your closet really didn't look bad in the "before" photos, but the "after" photos look like a display in a department store (before the shoppers destroy it)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job!
    I feel so much better being able to quickly grab my "uniform" for "work"LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I'm excited that Mark wanted to participate also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! My undies drawer is rather sparse now too! I may have to do laundry more often now.

    (Total side note, I just saw on your side bar How About Orange. I love that site!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome girl. Thanks for stopping by Santa Beso today too. I have loved getting to see some new ideas on closet reorganization. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete