Wednesday, March 30, 2011

one smart cookie

Last week, I was craving chocolate chip cookies. Hard. Usually when that happens, I'm missing an ingredient. Not this time! I had half a bag of chocolate chips leftover from something - I was in luck!

I tore a recipe out of a recent Parenting magazine issue for chocolate chip cookies made with whole-wheat flour instead of white flour, so Morgan and I gave these 'healthier' cookies a shot. They are less refined and have a lower glycemic index (so your blood sugar doesn't spike the way it would with treats made with white flour). I thought they were either going to be really good, or really bad.
Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Parenting magazine)

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted buter
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet, and would use a little more next time)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter on high speed until creamy. Add brown sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully mixed. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add flour mixture a little at a time until barely blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop rounded tablespoons of batter about 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake on the middle rack until golden brown around the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. (This way too much time in my oven. 9-10 minutes was perfect for me. I'd check them around 9 minutes.) Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

Makes about 36 cookies.
The verdict: really good! Other than looking a little darker because of the darker flour, they tasted just like regular chocolate chip cookies. Over the course of a few days, Morgan probably had 3, Mark had maybe 6, and I ate the rest. For real. I'm lucky I didn't gain 10 pounds. Geez! Self-control is NOT my middle name.

Today: we are recuperating from a long, emotional day yesterday. My to-do list was long, but I kept it light with Morgan and Parker and still managed to get a lot done. Very go-with-the-flow, take-it-as-it-comes today. One of the things not on my list for today was laundry. As luck would have it, they had to order 3 new parts for the washer on Monday and will be back on Friday to fix the damn thing. I suppose I'd rather have a broken washer than a broken dryer right now. My hands are so dry from hand-washing the bare essentials.

Tomorrow: MY NEPHEWS ARE ARRIVING! I cannot believe it! Kristin's pregnancy went so fast, I swear she just told us of she was pregnant. I am so excited for her and Troy and can't wait to hold those little boys. Neither can Morgan. It's all she talks about. And to hear what they finally decide to name them. My opinions have been expressed, we'll see what they decide. :) I will share all of the details (and photos, of course) as soon as the lucky parents give me permission get a chance to spread the news first.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like Morgan agrees that the cookies were good. It's amazing how they just savior one cookie and its enough (instead of our need to have 2, 3, or more!). Can't wait to see you tomorrow for the BIG day. Now off to bed -- its amazing how quickly I seemed to have gotten a cold today and all I'm doing is sneezing and blowing my nose. Better NOT affect tomorrow! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I meant savor, not savior (although cookies can be a savior some days!)

    ReplyDelete