Thursday, March 17, 2011

on his own

Sleep has been a bit of a struggle for Parker these last several months. Not really falling asleep, but staying asleep. And he hardly ever goes to sleep on his own. Until the last couple days.

His naps yesterday were particularly trying. Parker usually doesn't put up much of a fight when it comes to getting him ready to take a nap. He is a fantastic napper. But yesterday, we were all a little cranky, and chilly (we lost power the night before and it still hadn't come on) and Parker just pushed and pushed me. Literally. He was clearly tired, but did not want to be held. And I was getting frustrated. So I took a deep breath, gave him a kiss, put him in his crib, and told him I'd be right back to check on him.

He hardly fussed. Or cried. A couple minutes later, quiet. I waited a little longer before peeking in his room to find this.
He fell asleep. All on his own.
He did it again for his afternoon nap. And this morning's nap. Maybe it's just me that wants to hold and walk and rock my baby to sleep. Because I thought he wanted it. Or he needed it to sleep. He used to. It was hard to just put him in his crib awake and walk away. Especially because I'm not used to it. And I'm always second guessing myself. Wondering if I'm doing the right thing. As it turns out, this time it is the right thing. I know that when he wakes up happy, not crying. Full of smiles and waving to me as I walk in his room. Absolutely melts my heart.

We still need to work on his nighttime sleep, but (dare I say) I feel like this might be the beginning of the end of crappy sleep for Parker. And me. Wish us luck. I hope this is more than a phase.

P.S. I love this article (and reading the comments) from a favorite baby sleep blog I read about this very subject.

Today: Happy St. Patty's Day! Nothing special going on with us today, except we are heading out very soon to enjoy this crazy nice weather and take a trip to the park. Paper clutter before and after coming tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you enjoyed this awesome day. I enjoyed the article. You can't help lovin on a baby! Hope you and Parker get a chance to get a more restful night.

    ReplyDelete