Monday, February 14, 2011

made with love

Mark isn't a big sweets guy. I love to bake, but there are only a handful of desserts that he really enjoys. When I found a recipe for Rolo Cookies a few weeks ago, I knew I had to try them for him. He had to run some errands Saturday afternoon, so I took advantage of the time to surprise him with warm out-of-the-oven cookies.
Rolo Cookies (from Two Peas and Their Pod)

2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. cocoa
1 c. butter, at room temperature
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
bag of Rolo candies, unwrapped
sugar for rolling the cookie dough balls in

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Set aside. With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla extract. Mix until blended.

Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and blend well. Take a spoonful of chocolate cookie dough and wrap around one Rolo candy. Make sure Rolo is completely covered with cookie dough. Roll dough ball in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until you run out of cookie dough.

Bake 7-10 minutes (7 minutes was perfect for me). Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies (mine made 50 cookies - I guess I could have used more dough on each Rolo).

They are so good (if I do say so myself). So yummy warmed up a bit in the microwave and perfect with a glass of milk. Morgan loved helping me make them too. Unwrapping the Rolos was a perfect task for her and she also dropped the rolled dough balls in the sugar before I put them on the cookie sheet. She kept asking if she could have a Rolo and liked to sneak her little fingers into the mixer bowl for a taste of the dough. 'It is SO fun to make cookies', she kept saying.

Mark loved them too. Yeah, success! I will for sure be making these again.

Happy Heart Day, everyone! I myself had a wonderful Valentine's weekend and I'm pretty certain my heart will be smiling for a while. XO

3 comments:

  1. Happy V-day to you too sis! That recipe sounds delectable -- I think Troy might like those too.

    I LOVE the new pics of Parker and Morgan on the side. I'm surprised Morgan didn't say "These cookies are GREAT!!" -- although she is mature enough to change it up once in a while! Love it love it! Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I love those cookies, but not as much as I love my wonderful wife!

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy V Day everyone. So glad Morgan had a fun time baking with Mommy!

    ReplyDelete