Wednesday, February 2, 2011

it's in the bag

After Parker was born, our going-out-to-eat days pretty much ceased to exist. I think we might have going out twice in 6 months. It just felt like too much work to get packed up, so if we ever ate a meal that wasn't cooked at home, it was takeout. Which isn't a bad option. We have a bazillion of yummy restaurants around us. Morgan's #1 request is Thai food. Good girl!

A couple of weeks ago, we had a very enjoyable, and last minute, dinner at Aubree's in Northville. The food was yummy (and plentiful), the kids behaved perfectly and we just had a plain ole great time at a new-to-us restaurant. I was ready to do it again, but I wanted to be better prepared to get out the door faster. Mostly because I hate scrambling, and I hate despise packing.

The diaper bag that we used after Morgan was born has been sitting empty since last summer, so I thought I could use it to pack up a restaurant bag and store it in the cabinets near our back door. When the weather gets a little warmer, I may just keep it in the car, in case we are already out and about. Here is a peek at the contents:
for Parker:
  • food and snacks, including a lidded bowl and spoon (I make Parker's baby food but thought we could try this line of baby food for eating out)
  • bib
  • high chair cover
  • small toys
for Morgan:
  • snacks to tide her over until we eat, if needed
  • bib
  • coloring book and crayons
It's not much, but having it all together = easy to me. After almost 3 years, I still often forget something we needed. Like a bib or beverage. And I don't have to clutter our everyday diaper bag with these seldom used items. At go time, I can just grab fresh sippy cups and we can be out the door. After our outing, I will clean out, replenish and reorganize the bag, and then put it back for the next trip. Now when we make a last minute decision to go out to dinner, or Mark calls asking if we want to meet him for lunch, there will be zero scrambling to get out the door.

2 comments:

  1. The easier it is to get out the door the better. And who doesn't like to go out for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete