Thursday, February 10, 2011

for the love of math

Yesterday, Morgan and I played a great math activity called the Valentine Candy Heart Count. I found the idea on Not Just Cute (which is one of my new favorite blogs for finding preschool activities) but had to improvise a bit because I was only able to find large conversation hearts. So be it. The counting sheet that Amanda made is perfect for the regular size hearts but Morgan understood what to do and she loved the 'game.'

I poured about half of the hearts into a bowl and pulled out crayons to match the colors. I showed Morgan each color - she spelled out the word and would ask "what's that spell?" :) - and I let her scribble on the color with the matching crayon.Then I asked her to pick a heart from the bowl. She chose pink first, and she pulled all of the pink hearts out of the bowl and lined them up the pink ladder. We counted them together and I wrote the number down under that column.We had a lot of white hearts so she just wanted to line them up in front of her. Why not?Afterwards, she asked if we could eat some. Well, of course. She says pink are her favorite! During breakfast this morning, she asked if we can play the counting game again. Yeah! I'm so glad it was a hit.

4 comments:

  1. That is FREAKING AMAZING! She is much like her Aunty K -- she likes pink and math! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! (I also like that you are tagging these, so when I get to that point in a few years, I can look back to see what you did). Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sis! I knew of all people that you would get a kick out of this activity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say you are a FABULOUS Mother. Thanks again for the pictures of the kids, so very thoughtful. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have left quite an impression on her, asking to play the game again. She is amazing and I'm so glad you can find things like this to do together.

    ReplyDelete