Tuesday, January 11, 2011

color coded

Morgan and I finished a little color and size organization project yesterday. We are slow-but-sure starting to furnish our living room and Mark moved a bookshelf out there for me to put our books back on it, out in the open instead of in boxes and cabinets.  Originally I was going to organize it by topic - health, architecture, graphic design, scrapbooking, etc. but some of the subjects overlap. And it was boring. I had seen, several times, people organize their books by color and thought that might look nice. So I called Mark at work to get the okay (that's all I needed was to spend an hour sorting them by color and then Mark get home and tell me 'no way, that's lame!') and he agreed it sounded cool. Plus it will be pretty effortless to figure out where to return the book when we are done reading it. So away we went.
It was easy enough and Morgan was a big help. We stacked them red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, gray and white. Then biggest to smallest. We put them on the shelves anchored by some simple cheapy IKEA bookends. One hour and done. Here was the end result:
Looks pretty cool and there's room for a few more books.

The white and red FARMAX book in the 'red' section is there so it is out of reach of little fingers. This first edition book I bought for a class in college was once out of print and worth much more than the $35 I spent to buy it in 1998.

3 comments:

  1. Visually appealing. I like it. I imagine Morgan loved helping you with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish people at school could see this so they know that it runs in the family (all the organizing and such) Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete