Tuesday, November 30, 2010

new holiday tradition: book advent countdown

Last night, while we took turns soothing Parker back to sleep, Mark and I finished wrapping the books for a new holiday tradition I am starting this year - a book advent countdown.I originally saw the idea last year and absolutely loved it. I saw this post today and really like the idea of letting the kids pick a book each night from the basket. I think I'll try that next year. This time, I just wrapped and numbered the books with the date because I wanted certain books to be opened before others. And I wanted them to be at Morgan's level so she can see them and 'count down', so I displayed them on top of the bookcase holding her toys. It's only been a few hours, but she has been very good about not touching them or attempting to open them. The plan is to incorporate this into our bedtime routine: pj's, snack, then open and read the book for that day as a family.

It wasn't as expensive as you may think either. I got most of the books for only a few dollars each or free, through Kristin and Scholastic, and the rest on Amazon. Next year, I'll remember to share the titles of the books. Morgan is already very curious about what all the presents are for and I tried to explain to her this morning that there is one gift for each day until Christmas (she doesn't know they are all books) and we will start unwrapping them tomorrow night. I can't wait to get started!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And they look so lovely all gathered together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. She's going to LOVE it! Great idea for family night time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for all of you. Awesome tradition.

    ReplyDelete