Wednesday, September 29, 2010

read with me

Today was our weekly storytime at the library and I had to all but drag myself out without any books this week because I just renewed the ones I got three weeks ago. My days aren't overflowing with spare time lately, so I need to make a mental note that when I'm done with these four, next time I will only take one at a time. If you couldn't tell, I'm not much of a fiction reader. I'd rather read a book that I'm going to learn something from. I always feel like I could be learning something. And right now, it's all about the kids.

The first one is The SleepEasy Solution. Ah, the wonderful world of sleep training. I think between Morgan and Parker, I've read them all and have formed my own opinions. This one is for the "exhausted parent". Ahem, (hand raised). That would be me. I didn't necessarily get it because I think Parker has sleep issues, I do think this is a phase, but I want to help him get the best sleep possible and get him in a good routine while he is still young. I'm about half way through it and have come away with some great information for the future - especially about naps and how developmental issues affect sleep.

I think I've loaned out The Wonder Weeks about 10 times since Morgan was born. I need to just buy it and give other people a chance to read it! When Parker stopped sleeping through the night a few weeks ago, I grabbed this book off the library shelves again. After reading the book in the past, I was pretty certain it was because of a major developmental change and not necessarily a growth spurt. (Or maybe both?) Sure enough, the authors say there is a fairly long magical leap that starts between 14-17 weeks. Bingo! He may have trouble sleeping - for sure! He may demand more attention - check. He may lose his appetite - oh yes, especially during the day.

I love HappyBaby products and was geeked when they teamed up with Dr. Sears to write a book, HappyBaby: The Organic Guide to Baby's First 24 Months. I mainly got this one for the recipes and meal ideas for Parker and Morgan. But it's also full of tips about being green, natural baby toys, mama's health and well-being, and more. I love it so far. It's another one of those books I should just purchase.

The last one is The Encyclopedia of Infant and Toddler Activities. This is exactly what I was looking for to get ideas for the kids. It was written by teachers and daycare providers and it's full of songs and activities for kids through two years old. (I guess they also have books for three- and four-year-olds too.)  It's organized by time of day, so they've got a lot of ideas for clean-up time, meal time and nap time too. Even though Morgan isn't in daycare right now, I don't want the learning to stop. I want to continue to do things that help stimulate both of their development, and I think I found the perfect book to start us out.

I hope three more weeks is enough to finish these books!

3 comments:

  1. I don't believe in sleep training, and I highly recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution. There is a baby version and a toddler version. Breastfed infants are not meant to sleep all night without nursing. Breastmilk is digested to quickly and completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I read No Cry Sleep Solution and thought it was a great book. I think Parker is too young for any 'training' and thought SleepEasy might give me some answers to his frequent night waking right now. He is nearly 18 pounds and I wasn't expecting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a teachers point of view, Morgan definitely hasn't stopped learning since she's been at home. Every time I see her, it just amazes me -- from the things she says, the things she does, and of course how healthy she is eating (the girl likes apples as snacks and was excited as anything about the fact that I brought over some yogurt!). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete