Wednesday, February 17, 2010

month 02 goal 05

Check.

I am a sucker for having a place for everything and everything in it's place. Even during a renovation. Planning the kiddos future playspace was fun and I'm using furniture that we already have. Now we just have to decide where in the house it will be.

I currently use an IKEA Expedit bookcase for my scrapbooking supplies but I really wanted to be able to use it for the kids toys and bins. During my clean and purge last month, I think I will easily be able to par down my scrapbooking stash and relocate it to one of the shelves that Mark and I designed and built back in college. No, I'm not giving up scrapbooking and paper crafts, but I've found in the recent past, the less I have, the easier it is to scrapbook.

My plan is to turn the bookcase from it's current vertical position to horizontal - a much more accessible arrangement for those under 3 feet tall. Next, I dumped all of Morgan's toys on the floor, even the old infant toys that we are saving for baby2, and separated them into piles - stuffed animals, blocks, arts and crafts, puzzles, Legos, books, dolls, etc - and made notes about how much and what sizes we had in each category.During a trip to Target, I remembered the itso line of organizing bins and trays that they carry. I actually bought 5 shallow trays a couple years ago when I was in an organizing frenzy with my wood mounted stamps. The width of these trays fits perfectly into the Expedit and when I was at Target recently, I wrote down the sizes of all of the fabric and plastic bins they have so I could pair the toy categories with an appropriate bin. Here's a rough sketch of what I've got so far: Some of the other things I will include in their space are the Bumbo chair (when baby2 is ready to use it) and activity mat, Morgan's play table and chair set, a big basket for larger balls that like to roll all over the house (this one is kind of cool) and her easel. Morgan also got 2 Skip*Hop bins for her first Christmas and I think those will continue to work great for baby2's toys and all of their small stuffed animals.

As far as decor, I'm collecting lots of ideas - like a way to display art projects, a growth chart and soon I'd like to make some large alphabet 'flashcards' to hang on the walls. In the future, I dream of hanging a big world map on the wall and sticking pushpins in each city we've been to as a family.

I think this system will work out pretty well for us for a while - even as their toy preferences change. Morgan is already great about putting her toys away (Lola's mom and I tease that we should get together for a playdate so the girls can clean our houses) and all of the bins and baskets will make it easy for us to swap out old toys with new-to-them toys. I'm hoping to get everything set up in the family room, even if it's temporary, after we move back over to that side of the house.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! If I could just see what is going on in that mind of yours...it must be VERY busy! Cool ideas and I love seeing that little sketch on this posting...I like the plans so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may very well be the most organized person I know! Good luck. I have tried every type of system out there and never had much luck controlling the clutter of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layout. I think the hardest part is controlling how many toys are out and about. If you see toys that aren't being played with, you can always put them away for a while and switch out toys every once in a while. Also love your map of the world idea.

    ReplyDelete