Wednesday, October 28, 2009

3+1=4

Mark, Morgan and I are very excited to announce that we are expecting a new addition to our little family. Our first doctors appointment was Monday afternoon and we confirmed baby2's due date for June 2nd 2010, just days before Morgan's 2nd birthday.We actually didn't get a measurement of the baby or a due date until this morning. During my ultrasound on Monday, the doctor confirmed the baby was there and all looked well. But she also saw what appeared to be another gestational sac and immediately ordered another ultrasound at the hospital. The second ultrasound confirmed there was in fact a second sac, but no baby inside. It's called a disappearing twin or blighted ovum. The sac should go away on it's own and won't harm this baby or me. I've experienced a whole range of feelings today, but am so grateful and happy that the surviving baby is healthy and has a strong heartbeat.

I also switched to the doctor that performed my Cesarean section with Morgan. Not that I didn't like my original doctor, but I like my new doc much more. She makes me very comfortable, and she doesn't rush me. Plus, if I had to go through 30 hours of labor again, just to end up with another c/s, I would like her to be the one to slice and dice me. Which I'm sure is very likely if we have another 9+ pounder :) We'll see what the doc says about that!

Morgan does not yet understand that mommy has a baby in her belly. We try to talk about it with her and all that results from it is either Morgan lifting her shirt and pointing to and saying 'belly button'. Or her lifting my shirt and blowing on my belly (like we do to her!). Maybe as my belly expands she may start to get it. Maybe not.

Everything is going splendidly, or should I say, to be expected. Just nauseous and tired. And restless legs and insomnia. And frequent potty breaks. Morning sickness. Evening sickness. I don't remember feeling this bad with Morgan and it's been more of a challenge to find something to ease that lump in my throat. I've already been through salt and vinegar chips, Sprite, toast, nachos, apples, oatmeal, pizza, lemonade, ice cream, tea, sour gummy candies...all of which did their job at the time, but the thought of eating any of it now makes me want to hurl. My cravings have certainly been a one time thing so I've learned not to stock up on anything - as they change day to day. Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to getting through this first trimester business and (hopefully) regaining some energy. And stop thinking so much about food.

Thanks for letting us spill the beans. We are thrilled about Morgan becoming a big sister and being a family of 4. Here's to another new adventure.

5 comments:

  1. I remember your "anytime" sickness with Morgan and it was quite frequent. Thanks for the cute 1st picture of the up and coming baby Reaves. Make sure to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..didn't realize that first picture would be so clear already. SO CUTE..and so happy for you both. Can't wait to be Aunty K to the second power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! (I'm a little jealous! shhhhh). So, who was the Dr. that did your CS? And, are you going to deliver at the place in Novi? I know the ABC doesn't do VBACS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I am thrilled for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Emily, Dr. Thai delivered Morgan and I will probably deliver this baby in Novi, even though we equal distance from both hospitals. I'm looking for positive VBAC stories :)

    ReplyDelete