Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What the Funk?

Hey everyone! Been in a bit of a blog funk lately. Let's see if I can catch you up on the past couple weeks.

We got everything squared away with the Jetta - filed the insurance claim, got the police report and repair estimate - and Mark took it in to the shop to be repaired on Saturday. Even with the holidays, we may be so lucky to get it back this week! I'm not going to get my hopes up though. At least it's good timing. Mark is off for the next two weeks and today is my last day until January 5th, so even though we got a junker (ahem, I mean free loaner), we can live without two cars right now. And, it's just in time for me to turn in the Jetta. The lease is just about up and one of the things on our to-do list for next week is to go car shopping. I'm pretty excited to get a new ride. The auto show is just around the corner too. In the past, I usually only tag along with Mark when we were looking for new cars. Perhaps we'll make a trip this year. Although, Mark really wants to go to the one in Chicago in February. And I {heart} Chicago!Our Christmas shopping is done, the presents are wrapped and believe it or not, we haven't opened any gifts yet! None! In past years, Mark and I have been notorious for opening our gifts for each other as early as a week before the 25th! Not this year though. The temptation has been there, that's for sure, but we have promised we are going to wait until Christmas morning. So far, so good. Morgan has been pretty intrigued by the gifts under the tree, but even more so by the twinkling tree that is just her size.I think if Christmas were still a month away, or Morgan was a month older, there would be no Christmas tree because this little girl is about to take off and run away. She is thisclose to crawling and getting into everything. **Note to self: time to childproof!** She can get up on her knees from the sitting position (and back up to sit down again) but hasn't quite figured out what to do with her feet.And that's not the only thing that is on the verge. Morgan also has a tooth that is about to sprout. It looks like her first tooth is going to be her lower right one and it is about to pop right through those sore little gums. So, all bets are on. What's going to happen first - getting her first tooth or destroying everything in sight and running away from home?Eating solids has been a fun little adventure so far. Morgan has tried peas (not so much), butternut squash (yum!) and sweet potatoes (double yum!). We are still taking it slow with one new food a week and she's doing really well. She does have some new tricks up her sleeve though. Morgan likes to grab the spoon from us as she's eating. Or, scoop the food off the spoon with her hands and smear it on the table/high chair/her clothes. Or, turn around in her chair and chew on the straps and chair back. Lovely, eh? (It must be the teething thing. We went out for Thai food a couple weekends ago and all Morgan wanted to do was eat the edge of the table. I'm sure it was delicious. Um, no. Sitting on my lap didn't work either as she just grabbed a handful of my pineapple fried rice. Yikes! I should have told her there are peas in it.) Even though it is a two-person job to feed her at night (one to feed, one to distract her and hold her hands away from the spoon), she still cracks me up. She can do no wrong.

Last weekend the Christmas festivities began. On Saturday, we drove out to Eagle for the Reaves Christmas party. Lots of food, hanging out, games and presents for the great-grandchildren.Morgan got her first taste of opening gifts, literally. She was much more interested in boxes and wrapping paper than the soft and fuzzy stuffed animal.
And Morgan got to see her cousin Selah again. She just loves being around other little kids and watching the big kids run around and play.On Sunday, we celebrated Christmas with Grammy and Grandpa Goulding, Uncle Nick, Uncle Derek, Uncle Pat and Mason. After a delicious brunch, we opened gifts and then Morgan and I took a much needed nap.That brings us to today. As for the rest of this week, we are going to hang low on Christmas Eve - maybe watch some movies and have a nice dinner. On Christmas morning we are going to celebrate with just the three of us - our first Christmas as a family - eat some yummy breakfast, open gifts and play, play, play. We have plans to be in Lansing again that afternoon to celebrate with Mark's dad and then back home to be with my family on Friday.

Then, a WHOLE week off. I'm thrilled about that! I'll try not to be a stranger. Easier said than done though. Until then, have a Merry Christmas! XO from the three of us. :)

3 comments:

  1. I can NOT believe how much has happened in the past few weeks since we've seen her. About to crawl AND a new tooth? I can't wait! It'll be wonderful seeing you guys on Friday and I can't wait to get some needed "Morgan and Aunty K" time in. Let her know I'll be there to plan on Friday (and once the crawling has been perfected, we'll start on the counting...hee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I meant to say I'll be there ready to "play" not plan...my bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update! Aunty K is not the only one excited. Having a little one is sure to make your holidays more eventful (and fun).

    ReplyDelete